Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sump Baffles  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-28-2006 08:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
James Wilson

I've finished stripping the block from a '74 Elite that I'll rebuild for my J-H and have found the sump already has baffles welded in. These are alloy plate 1/8" thick welded in that compartmentalize the area around the oil pickup- they leave small gaps at the top, bottom and sides, along with triangular cut outs at the front of the bottom. These look like they'd be effective for controlling oil movements.

Is this something Lotus did, or was it a later modification by an owner. It looks pretty neatly done.

Attachment: sumpbafflefs.jpg (Downloaded 67 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-29-2006 01:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

James,

What you have appears to be very similar to what is in all 907 engines supplied in MkII & JH5 cars.  The stock baffling is actually pretty good, the pan is just shallow compared to later 910 & 912 pans. 

Adding any more baffling or trap-doorswon't really help that much.  About the only thing you can do is go to a dry-sump system if you are building a serious competition car.  For a street-car, the stock baffling is fine.

You may run into clearance problems when using the Elite oil pan in conjunction with the JH x-member.  Used JH pans are easy enough to source if it proves to be a problem. 

BTW  what cams were supplied with your engine?  Would they be the much fabled 'D' or 'E' cam?

Judson

Posted: 12-30-2006 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jon Plowe

Judson,

What are the fabled properties of the D or E cam that make them better than what I might have in my 907?

Thanks

Jon

Posted: 12-30-2006 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

The 'D' cam has about .010" more lift than the US 'C' cam and 270^ duration vs. 272^ duration.  It is denoted by a single groove around the nose of the cam.  The 'E' cam has 260^ duration and is denoted by a double groove around the nose of the cam.  Both cams were supposedly found only in European 907 equipped cars (i.e. Elite).

The 107 cam (252^ duration) was the natural progression from the 'D' and 'E' cams.  Lotus realized the engine didn't need as much duration as originally thought (especially on the exhaust).  They did find, however, that the intake could utilize more duration, hence the 104/107 cam combo in the Excel SE.

The 104/104 combo is essentially the same as the stock 'C' cam, with more lift to accommodate the 2.2 engines.  On dyno plots the 104/107 produces the same amount of HP as the 104/104 but about 1000rpm lower in the rev-range. 

Current time is 07:19 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Sump Baffles Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems