Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Exhaust rattle  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-28-2006 05:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
chrisl

My Mk 1 has developed an annoying 'tinkle' at low revs. Seemes to be coming from the back end of the exhaust assembly. At first I thought it was one of the exhaust pipes touching the chassis or the rear axle but the clearance is OK.

I suspect something's come loose from the front silencer and is now rattling around in the rear muffler but before pulling it apart wonder if anyone else has come across this before?

Chris L

JH 11327

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-29-2006 02:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

You could easily have a loose bit (probably rather small in size) in the rear muffler.  My car once made a fair assortment of funny noises, few of them obviously exhaust-related, that all went away simultaneously when I installed a new exhaust system some years ago.

Posted: 12-31-2006 11:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
John Kimbrough

In an earlier post I mentioned that since I replaced the muffler with a straight through one from Delta, the exhaust system makes a "tink" sound continuously when the engine is running or cooling down.  It is only noticeable when idling or cooling down after turning the engine off, since the engine sound (noise) usually drowns it out.  I have just decided to live with it. Have no idea what it is. 

John 

Current time is 07:15 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Exhaust rattle Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems