Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Hoses  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-18-2006 08:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
smcmanus

Anyone got numbers for the radiator hoses?

Thanks

Steve

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-19-2006 12:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I've always just bought them from Delta Motorsports.  Their upper and lower radiator hoses use the proper material (kevlar, IIRC).  The manifold hose is a name brand such as Gates and does not use kevlar.

I've found that the hoses remain essentially uncracked for three years, and last at least two years longer once significant surface cracks appear.  In other words, they seem to have a five year lifespan.

Posted: 12-20-2006 03:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
smcmanus

I just ordered them.  My problem is not in paying Delta for them, it is the week or so delay in getting them.  It would be nice if there was an alternative. 

I rebuilt my wife's 20 y/o BMW 325e a couple years ago.  The original hoses were still supple and in good condition inside and out.  I slapped new hoses on but it really didn't need them.  I'm surprised that these special and relatively expensive kevlar hoses only last 3 years before cracking.

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 12-23-2006 10:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I'm talking about cracks appearing only in the outer surface of the hose, at the points where the hose flexes due to engine vibration and torquing.  The cracks I've seen were not of the sort to actually leak, but this is an issue on which I'm quite sensitive.

I have cats that have access to the car.  A leaking hose would allow coolant to puddle on the garage floor, and if the cats were to drink any of it, they'd likely die.  Over the years, I've lost several cherished pets because former neighbors demonstrated poor control of their antifreeze.

Posted: 01-07-2007 11:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
normv

I have found that a Australian Ford laser 81-85 lower hose fits the lower one on the Jensen quite well , I think I did have to cut about a inch off, I can’t quite remember as it was a while ago, Still shows no signs of cracking and is as new. The Ford laser was simply a rebadged Mazda 323 in Australia I believe it may have been called a Mazda Familia or GLC in the US It was the first FWD version .

Last edited on 01-07-2007 11:48 am by normv

Current time is 02:32 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Hoses Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems