Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
First Design JH Wheels  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-09-2005 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I recently came across a photo of the wheels used for the first 200 JH's, which would be Jensen part number 90270.  I've attached the photo below.

I'd always thought that the only difference between the early and later wheels was the offset, but as this picture indicates, there were cosmetic differences as well.  I wonder why they changed the design.

Attachment: wheels early design.jpg (Downloaded 620 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-12-2005 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Joseph Mazurk

Actually Mark, the first 200 JHs' had a completely different wheel. I have a factory photo of the first JHs' off the production line. If my scanner was working I would put a picture of it in this reply.  Be patient and I will send you one when the scanner works.

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Posted: 04-12-2005 10:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Well, I dunno.  The photo came from an ad on eBay UK at the link below, and the seller certainly knew that the first 200 cars had different wheels than all the rest.  More importantly, the wheels in the photo and the wheel in the Wheels, Tyres and Toolkit drawing (plate 516), do seem to match.

It's possible the factory may have used entirely different wheels for the photos in their first sales brochures (the folks on the British Steel mail list were talking about just that sort of thing for one of the Interceptors, a while back).  Alternately, the drawing could have been based on custom wheels for a Vauxhall that were never used on a JH.  I don't know for certain, so I'm going to suspend judgement until more evidence shows up.

Since I don't recall seeing any previous posts about the designs of the two different wheels, I'll be quite pleased if we can settle this point, one way or the other.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9903&item=7966973957&rd=1 

Posted: 04-14-2005 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Joseph Mazurk

Mark,

My scanner works but the pic is toooooooooooooooo big. If you have a copy of the April 1972 Road & Track there you find the wheels I am talking about. I will write Richard Calver and get the "spin" about these wheels.

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Posted: 04-16-2005 05:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Joe Mazurk and I have discussed this matter in detail, off-board.  He sent an email off to Richard Calver, whose reply was that the wheels whose photo I included in my original post were indeed those used on the first 200 cars.  So that part, at least, appears to be settled.

However, it should be noted that the wheels in the photo were not the only ones to appear on the earliest JHs, so Joe's earlier statement is true in part.  I've attached a composite image taken from the April 1972 issue of Road & Track magazine. The black and white section, cropped from a photo that Joe scanned, shows the wheels used on the magazine's test car, and the color photo of the magazine cover is included to assist traceability.

In viewing these photos, it is quite apparent that the wheels on the magazine's test car differ from both the early and later version wheels. Presumably these were 'concept car wheels' that had no hope of being used in production.

Attachment: R&T composite photo.jpg (Downloaded 226 times)

Posted: 04-16-2005 09:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Is the car in the photo seafoam green? Was that ever a factory color?

Kurt

JH 13148

Posted: 04-17-2005 01:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Mitch Ware

There was a seafoam green car for sale in Seattle last year IIRC. I believe it was stated to be the original color.

Mitch Ware

1974 Jensen Healey JH5 #111119670

1971 Triumph TR6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 04-22-2005 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Joseph Mazurk

The correct color name is Moss Green. That was the color of my first JH wayyyyyyyy back in 1973. Moss Green, when you first approach it, one must wait for the color to "grow" on you before you can appreciate it.

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Attachment: 73 JH in Indiana.jpg (Downloaded 130 times)

Posted: 02-22-2010 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Circmand

as opposed to that love at first sight tangerine my JH originally was?

Posted: 01-13-2012 08:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
ajm541s

I came across this thread today looking for ictures of J-H wheels, and I am very grateful Mark Rosembaum for the superb pics. These wheels were used on the first 200 production cars, as Mark says, and differ from later ones by having smaller 'slots' in the inner section, about half the later design. The wheels seen in very early press photos were used because the correct wheels were late, and these were only used on pre-production cars.
As to how the design change came about I have no idea but I will enquire further.
Happy New Year!
Tony Marshall

Last edited on 01-13-2012 09:01 am by ajm541s

Current time is 06:05 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Wheels > First Design JH Wheels Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems