Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Seat Belt Wires  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-27-2006 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
73healey

I am planning to replace the seat belts in my car. As I am no electrical expert I would like to know if I cut the two wires from the existing female belts to replace them will I get myself into trouble with something. I have learned that most times there is a reaction for every action and I don't want a negative reaction.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-27-2006 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Jim,

Cutting (and taping off) the wires will probably have zero effect if someone has previously bypassed the seat-belt interlock system.  If your system is still functioning (i.e. car won't start without the seat belts installed), which by the way would be a true rarity, you'll need to bypass the system first.

Give the car is 30+ years old and surely modified, I'd hate to give you advice on how to bypass the system if someone else has modified your wiring harness, etc.

Judson

Posted: 11-27-2006 05:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
73healey

Judson,

Thank you for the reply. If I remember correctly, I am able to start the car without the seat belts being connected. I will confirm this later today. I do recall that the buzzer will sound if I release the seat belt while the car is still running. Will the buzzer be a problem if the wires are cut?

Thanks

Jim

Posted: 11-28-2006 02:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
colinw59

I wouldn't cut these wires Jim, there's no advantage to doing this. I would just unplug the belts, tape up the wires so that they don't ground or complete the circuit, and then tuck them under the carpet. Things may change along the way and you may want to use them again in the future. Or maybe the next owner will, and then we could be reading about a PO who cut the seatbelt wires!   Colin

Posted: 11-29-2006 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
73healey

Thanks for the tip. Makes sense.

Jim

Current time is 08:48 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Seat Belt Wires Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems