Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
project car?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-20-2006 05:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
johnnyd2u

I've come accross a Jensen Healey, offered for sale for $300. The car is pretty much all there as I can tell, it's in non-running condition and it needs alot of work. The driver's door tag reads; date of manufacture 7/8/75 and the vin# is 20498. Can anyone tell me anything about the car from the vin #? Is it a good buy? Can parts be found? Any help/info would be apreciated.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-20-2006 07:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
smcmanus

Many parts are available with the main source being Delta.  They will send you a free catalog for the asking.

Is it a good deal?  Heck yeah!  Even if it rusts into dust the parts are worth way more than 3 bills.  It should have a 5 speed transmission which is worth 3X the asking price.  It may or may not be repairable, but it is certainly worth $300.

My advice is: Buy all you can find and keep them out of the rain. 

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 11-21-2006 12:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
johnnyd2u

Thanks Steve for the reply. It does have a 5 speed (at least thats what the gear shift selector says). From pictures of other cars I've seen it looks to be all original, the only thing missing is the radio as far as I can tell. It has a hardtop? and the convertible softtop frame is there but no top. Other than that...??? I'm more of a American made muscle car guy, but my wife has her heart set on the sportsy wind in her hair thing. Oh well, another learning experience I guess!

Thanks again for the input.

Posted: 11-21-2006 12:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
edward_davis

Johnny,

The Jensens are the closest thing you can get to a muscle car from the British.  The power to weight ratio of the JH is about 17 lbs/hp, which, technically, makes it a muscle car.  If you want to delve deeper, the Jensen Interceptor came with the ol' Chrysler 440 wedge motor, so it's really a muscle car.  If you take a Jensen to a British car meet, you'll outpower most of the little British cars there.  That's why I have a JH and not an MGB.

Edward

Posted: 11-21-2006 03:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Johnny, with that Vin# it means it was one of the last 6 out of the factory before it closed, by that time most of the issue's with the cars had been sorted out, I own 20497 so yours was next in line, curious ?? what color ext. and int. does it have.

Brett.

Posted: 11-21-2006 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
johnnyd2u

Thanks Edward and Brett for the replys. The car is currently white with the trunk lid painted red. In a few areas where the white paint has come off the car is blue, not sure if the blue is original or not. The interior has blue carpeting with the seats being blue and black. Also the seats are cloth material not leather or vinyl. From the little amount of research I've done I've seen no mention of cloth seats, only leather? Hopefully, I will be picking the car up in the next day or so. That is interesting about the Vin #'s. Does anyone know how many of these cars still survive?

Posted: 11-21-2006 09:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jcrc1

According to my DataBook, Your car  was originally Nevis Blue with a Black interior and a  Hardtop option was ordered with the car. Your Original engine # is t75-02-11578. Yours and Bretts each have a funny notation in the notes section which says"EHD order to the USA" . I don't know what that means but the last 7 cars to the USA were coded with that footnote. Bretts car color was also Nevis Blue with a Tan Interior.

Hope this helps

John

Posted: 11-21-2006 09:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
johnnyd2u

Thanks John for the info. The interior door panels, dash, etc. are black. However, the carpeting is definately a blue of sorts (must have been changed out at some point). Still wondering about leather/cloth seats.

Thanks again for responding

Posted: 11-23-2006 01:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
johnnyd2u

Well, it took a tractor to pull the car out of the dirt and onto solid ground so it could be towed. Now where did I put that screwdriver?

Attachment: JH-1.jpg (Downloaded 129 times)

Posted: 11-27-2006 11:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

John, not sure what "EHD" stands for, but the original owner bought the car in England during his service in the air force there, once his tour was up he sent it back to the factory to be updated for the US market, then had them ship it to Atlanta.. maybe Johnny's car did the same thing .... ???

Current time is 12:45 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > project car? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems