Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Stupid questions..........

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stupid questions..........  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-18-2006 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
smcmanus

I've got the JH on the lift and even ran it for a moment.  It sounds good and the oil pressure is strong.

Stupid question 1:  Just in front of the bellhousing on the aft top of the block is what appears to be a 3/4" heater hose fitting.  Nothing is connected to it.  Should there be?

Stupid question 2:  There is a small plastic tube between the carburetors on the top of the flange where it mates to the manifolds.  This has a T with a hose that just hangs there?  What is this for?

Stupid question 3:  The distributor has what appears to be a vacuum advance on it.   on the distributor opposite this device is a knurled nut.  There is what looks to be a vacuum hose fitting on the vacuum advance looking thing.  What is this, and should it be connected to something?

Yes, I purchased a manual.  It doesn't answer my questions and I'm not sure what good it is.

Thanks for the help

Steve

Attachment: JH-3.jpg (Downloaded 13 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-18-2006 04:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The 3/4" hose connects to the air filter to burn blow-by gasses.

The small black plastic tube from the carbs connects to the carbon canister to burn evaporated gasoline from the fuel tank.

The vacuum capsule is actually a retard device. Do not connect it. Make sure the vacuum tap on the manifold has a tight fitting cap and ignore the capsule.

The manual has lots of information in it but is far from perfect. It is not a step-by-step for the layperson but a reference guide for an auto mechanic.

Good luck,

Kurt

Posted: 11-18-2006 04:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jim Ketcham

Steve,

1) If I am interpreting you correctly the hose fitting that you are refering to is the crankcase breather spout.  On later cars, it connected to the airbox to allow crankcase vapors to be sucked into the carbs and crankcase condensate to trickle back to the crankcase.  Many that remove the airbox forget about the important function of allowing the condensate to return to the crankcase.  As these vapors are combustable, it should definitely be connected to something.

2) I believe you are talking about the charcoal canister to carb lines.  The line runs from the carbon canister to a tee and to the flange on the carbs.  It is to suck in hydrocarbon vapor that has collected in the charcoal canister when the car has been sitting in the sun.  There should obviously be a line from the canister to the fuel tank.

3) The vacuum unit is actually a vacuum retard.  It normally has a small hose connected to it and then to the center of the intake manifold.  Most vacuum diaphragms are no longer any good, so at the minimum you should make sure the vacuum port at the manifold is capped.  You can test the vacuum diaphragm by trying to gently blow or suck (with your mouth) through a tube connected to it.  If you can then the diaphragm leaks.

The knurled knob is a "fine" adjustment for timing.

A parts manual really helps when trying to figure this stuff out.

Jim

Posted: 11-19-2006 12:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

To add just a little to what Kurt and Jim have said, here's a drawing showing how all the carb tubes should be hooked up.

Attachment: JH Vacuum Lines.gif (Downloaded 55 times)

Posted: 11-19-2006 01:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
smcmanus

OK, the breather makes sense and I do have the original air-box to attach it to.  The charcoal canister is long gone so, for now, I hooked the 2 ports next to the intake together with a bit of the plastic tube.  I do find some good info in the manual but it sure would be nice to have some detailed drawings and pictures in there.  The previous owner left a lot of the parts in the trunk and many things dangling.  I fancy myself a mechanic but have never worked on a JH before so it is foreign to me.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks all

Current time is 10:31 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Stupid questions.......... Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems