Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Panasport Alternative: Minilite  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-17-2006 02:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Harkes

No, not just another Minilite wanna be, but the authentic Minilite! Now made in aluminium alloy, but also still available in the leighter magnesium for track or ralley.

They actually have an application for the Jensen Healey in 13"x 6, 14"x 6 and 15"x 6

http://www.minilite.co.uk/application.php?a_make=JENSEN

I have asked them for a quote and will post it as soon as i get the information.

Erik

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-17-2006 04:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

This company has been remaking the original Minilite wheels for years. The problem isn't that they are not available, it's how much they cost. Panasport has always been a less costly option.

Posted: 11-17-2006 08:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Harkes

sorry i wasn't aware of that. I have been checking for wheels for 2 years now and could never find Minilite, only minilite look alikes and wanna be's. When i found their website today, it seemed like it is just up for a month or two..

erik

Posted: 11-20-2006 03:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
pc

Harkes wrote:...I have been checking for wheels for 2 years now and could never find Minilite, only minilite look alikes and wanna be's...
People in the US who are interested in real live Minilites can call Steve at Main Street Motorsports.  He’s the US importer for Minilite.

I checked with Steve for JH wheels a few years back and they were available at the time.  As nice as the Panasports are I just wanted to go with a UK made wheel and real live Minilites would be the ticket.  Unfortunately they were pricier than I wanted to go at the time, as were Compomotives

I got Superlites and I’m very happy with them but unfortunately they don’t seem to sell them in the US anymore.

You might want to check with Superlite to see if they sell them in the Netherlands.  They had a wider range of wheel types available than Minilite, including real magnesium and multi-piece designs.  Compomotive’s UK site lists their Netherlands representatives as Korst Banden en Velgen BV

PC.

Posted: 11-20-2006 08:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Harkes

thanks PC.

I just got the quote from Minilite for the JH 15 x 6 wheel with Diamond cut rim, polished : $ 200 per wheel excl vat. (there are shipping cost of course)

I understood the Panasport are around $220 (excl vat??) but this could be for the 15 x 7 or 15 x 6 i don't know. In the Netherlands there is an Panasport importer but he charges about Euro 280 (more then $ 300) per wheel..  I can buy them from DMS of course for 200/220 Dollar but then i get quite some shipping costs on top + import tax as it comes from outside Europe :( 

I'll check compomotive prices @ Korst Banden in the netherlands and superlites.

erik

Posted: 11-21-2006 04:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I'm rather skeptical of those prices. Not sure what the current cost in the U.S. is for Minilites, but I can guarantee it's considerably more. Even if those prices were correct, a US buyer would be paying a hefty sum for shipping and import duty.

Posted: 11-22-2006 08:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
colinw59

Erik, if the rims (or anything else for that matter) are being exported out of the UK, you should not be charged VAT. Colin

Posted: 11-23-2006 10:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Harkes

that makes them even more interesting to me then since i don't get import charges on it either as its within the EU.

I have requested another quote at KN Wheels who make the "minator" which is being sold through Mini, Triumph and MG shops over here in Europe.

So i have a choice of Minilite, KN Wheels and Panasport.

cheers

erik

Posted: 11-27-2006 08:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
James Wilson

I think you'll find that exports out of the EU are exempt from VAT but sales within the EU are still liable for VAT, in the UK that's 17.5%

I've asked for a quote for the 15 x 6 wheels and been told its £100 + VAT each, on a special order basis with a 4-6 week wait.

I'm thinking.... Its £1000 for new shoes (wheels @100 + tyres @80 x 5 + VAT) for the car.

I better finish my other jobs with the transmission upgrade and engine re-build first....

Posted: 06-14-2007 09:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jensenman

I bought a set of 14x6 Minilites from Richard Appleyard Engineering several years ago. At the time, Panasports and Minilites were approximately the same cost by the time they landed at my door. The Panas were more expensive but had lower shipping (within the States) the Minis were cheaper but the freight charges ate up the savings. I like Panasports, great wheels but I had always envisioned Minilites on a J-H from the time I was a teenager, so the chioce was pre-made.

Posted: 06-24-2007 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
timeforwalkies

After reading many of the questions and answers regarding minlites I contacted one of the reps in the US for an official quote.  Here is there response:

Many thanks for your response. I called the guys in England with your request; after they recovered their composure ( ! ) I have a promise of a proposal by next week for the 10 and 20 sets. There will be some options to discuss, including the topic of who would carry the inventory, but we can cross that and other bridges if the numbers can be made to make sense for all of us. The dollar is weak against many currencies at the moment, which doesn't help, but to give you an idea, a 14" x 6" Minilite would list in the region of $195, plus shipping to the US, duty, and other leech-like charges totalling in the region of $25 - $30 per wheel. I must advise that while the 13" wheel is available in the classic "mag-style", the 14" is so far only cast in the later Sport-Style.  I will do my best to take some pictures for you; my race MGB has 14" wheels, of course, so that will be the model. Tooling for the 14" wheel in the Mag-Style is due for completion in a couple of months, so you'll then have a choice.

So this would require at least 10 of us to commit and maybe 20 if the price is right. Probably a deposit with the rep would do the job.  Haven't work out the details yet. More info as it comes in.

Posted: 06-24-2007 01:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Are there any decent tires in 14"? I would go with 15 x 6 and use 205/50's. Same diameter as stock and many tire choices still available.

Current time is 03:00 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Wheels > Panasport Alternative: Minilite Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems