Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Flywheels  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-15-2006 07:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dave Sollish

I was looking for more info on the lite weight Lotus flywheel mentioned in previous posts such as part no, weight , do I have to get a new clutch and pressure plate,etc.  I have a 2.2  with a 4 speed. I installed a high torque starter last year and I think the ring gear has now shifted as it won't start. The aluminum flywheel is too light, I want something that behaves in traffic but would like some more pickup.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-08-2006 03:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Dan Eiland

Dave,

You can check with QED (Quorn Engine Development) in the UK about a new lightened steel flywheel. They make two types: one is for racing only and uses the 7.25 inch racing disc; the second is their street flywheel and weighs around 7 Kg which is just over 15 pounds without the ring gear. They also sell new ring gears as well. I think the street flywheel is around 150 pounds sterling plus shipping which can be a deal killer. Their part number is 307001. You can reach them at their web site: http://www.qednet.demon.co.uk . They carry a complete line of parts for the 9XX series engine. Just ask them for a catalog.

Posted: 12-14-2006 02:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dan Eiland

If anyone is interested, my machine shop is about ready to build me a custom made aluminum flywheel for my Jensen Healey. It will use my old ring gear but the cost is only $350. If anyone would like one made at the same cost please let me know right away. The materials need to be ordered. The flywheel will have a hardened steel insert for the friction surface and use the very best structural aluminum for the main part of the flywheel. These guys have two new CNC machines and build all kinds of racing parts so this is no big deal to them. Keep in mind the price does not include any shipping costs or any shipping materials. You will need to have your old ring gear mounted to the flywheel or you can order a new ring gear from QED and have any machine shop install it when you get your flywheel. Please let me know if you want one ASAP. They plan to make them next week or as soon as the materials arrive. You can contact me at deiland1@elp.rr.com .

Posted: 12-14-2006 03:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Sylva

Dan

I had a fly weel made, and it ripped my driven plate to bits in 300 KM, make sure the surface is right, I

then contacted AP and they sent me the mateial and finish spec for the driven area of the fly wheel, I think I've still got it at home, if so I'll mail it so you, but from memory it was flat to within 20 microns and a gound finish. The first one they built for me was turned on a lathe, and as I say clutc lasted 300 km.

Kelvin

Posted: 12-14-2006 03:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Dan Eiland

Your advice and information will be brought to their attention. They have made flywheels before and have a very good reputation. They also made parts for the MSD racing people before MSD sold out. MSD is a local company that did good and got bought out as companies like this do. If you saw some of the work done in this shop you wouldn't be too concerned. Quality is very high end. Please send me your information so I can pass it along to my machinist. Send to deiland1@elp.rr.com .

Last edited on 12-14-2006 03:43 am by Dan Eiland

Posted: 12-15-2006 11:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
James Wilson

I have a steel Lotus flywheel that I understand came from an Esprit. There is no part number on it, and the ring gear is an integral part of it. Using my ever-so-accurate bathroom scales it weighs 13 Lbs. It doesn't appear to have been used before- there are no signs of wear or any locating dowels installed. I attach a photo.

I've not yet installed this and cannot comment on how it affects performance.

Attachment: flywheelface2.jpg (Downloaded 46 times)

Current time is 01:47 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Flywheels Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems