Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Timing Belt Adjuster & HTD Conversions

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Timing Belt Adjuster & HTD Conversions  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-04-2006 02:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan Eiland

I'm getting ready to begin rebuilding my engine and upgrading to the 2.2L crank. I just ordered the adjustable HTD cam gear set and was wondering if I need to change out the original timing belt adjuster to a newer style? I was going to leave my original and just install new bearings. Wondering what others have done?

Dan

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-04-2006 07:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Ketcham

Dan,

I used my original tensioners with new bearings on my engines.  So far I have not had any problems.  I would like to know the advantages of the newer tensioners if someone can comment.

Jim

Posted: 11-06-2006 02:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The tensioner that I have and the GT's use is just a single bearing, that is the width of the belt, and is adjusted with a couple of wrench's, one to turn the "cam" the bearing is on, and the other to lock it in place. I understand the older tensioner is made up of two bearings instead and requires a special tool,???.

Brett.

Posted: 11-06-2006 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jim Ketcham

Thanks Brett.  It appears there are at least three types of tensioners.  The original, with two bearings that required the "special wrench" to slip behind the pulley to adjust.  The next generation, with 2 bearings that allowed adjustment from the front.  The latest, single bearing (non-replaceable bearing?) that adjusts from the front.  Sounds to me like the second generation one with the replaceable bearings and the easy adjustment is preferable.

Jim

Posted: 11-06-2006 04:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Jim, the larger single bearing is a replaceable item, it just cost's (pun intended) twice as much as the double.

Posted: 11-06-2006 04:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ron Earp

Does anyone make a conversion to run a modern spring loaded tensioner or an oil pressure driven one? It'd be difficult to imagine getting a proper spring loaded one in that tight of an area but figured I'd ask.

R

Posted: 11-07-2006 02:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Sylva

Dan

I run a manual belt adjustor off an early  910 turbo, (Ok but the gauge to check the tension is expensive) on my late 910 Block.

Any way I have acomplete 911 Sunbeam spring tension system in the house, In view of the info you've given me I'm happy to snd it to you for free if you pay postage, and it fits a907. (wont be much) You have my email let me know if you want it.

In view of his latest Post maybe Ron could tell us if the 911 spring tensioner will fit?

Kelvin

Posted: 11-07-2006 03:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dan Eiland

Kelvin,

Appreciate the offer and I would be interested if there is some advantage over the style I have. I have two and the look alike. Both are from 1974 engines. I guess I could take one apart to find out what kind I have. I just assumed they both used the two bearing system. Would rather have the kind that adjust from the front to simplify the adjustments when the time comes. Anyone know if Kelvins adjuster will work on my car and if it is worth doing the conversion?

BTW, Kelvin, I have some more information I'll send your way on the 9XX series engine.  

Posted: 11-13-2006 05:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Dan Eiland

I just removed the tensioner tonight and it is like what Jim described, there are two nuts on the front side. One is to tighten the tensioner in place and the other is to make your adjustments. Counterclockwise seems to loosen the tensioner. I need to finish tearing down my engine so I can take it to the machine shop this week to have the dowels added around the ten bolts surrounding the main bearings. If things go well this week maybe I can pull the tensioner apart to see if it has one bearing or two. My HTD cam gear set arrived earlier this week and it looks great.

Posted: 11-13-2006 02:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Ron Earp

Sylva,

So what I need is a 911 spring tensioning system?  I have not seen them before and will try and locate a source for one. I'd be willing to give it a go and make it fit, just have to locate it. 

I also thought about a simple system like the Mazda miata has, but if there is something that is close to fitting then I'd go that route first.

Ron

Posted: 11-13-2006 11:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Dan Eiland

Ron, have you seen the tensioner on ebay that is for sale? Lppks nothing like the one I have on my engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Belt-Tensioner-Lotus-Esprit-Eclat-Elite-Jensen-Healey_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQihZ020QQitemZ300047113728QQrdZ1

Posted: 11-13-2006 11:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Sylva

Ron

I have a picture of the ensioner with me today, it is used on the Sunbeam, Esprit S3 and Eclat SE to my knowledge, You can get them second hand from Lotus bits in the UK.

Send me an email to willia@petronas.com.my and I'll send the picture, it is to big to attach.

Posted: 11-14-2006 12:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Ron Earp

Click Dan's link above, is it like that?

Ron

Posted: 11-14-2006 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Sylva

Sorry can't click to ebay as I'm in work and not llowed, my privite internet is off as I'm moving house.

Posted: 11-14-2006 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Dan Eiland

Ron, I looked at Sylva's tensioner and it looks to be the same as the one on ebay. Don't know if the one on ebay is a good buy or bad. Just trying to figure out what is available and which is the best and why.

Current time is 02:34 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Timing Belt Adjuster & HTD Conversions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems