Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Old Upper & Lower Gasket and Seal Kits

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Old Upper & Lower Gasket and Seal Kits  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-04-2006 02:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan Eiland

I have the upper and lower gasket kits for my engine rebuild but they are about 10 years old. Does the age matter? I'm concerned over using such old kits to reassemble the engine. Would hate to have to tear the engine down a second time due to oil leaks caused by old gaskets and seals. Had planned to replace some gaskets with the newer recommended sealants, but what about the seals? The seals feel ok but I'm just a little concerned about them being 10 years old. Any comments?

Dan

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-04-2006 07:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Ketcham

Dan,

I believe they should be fine if they were stored properly (out of ultra violet).  I am not sure when they started using Goetz head gaskets, but that would be nice if your kit contained one of those.  As a matter of fact, you may be better off since I have found that the new (last years) kits have a poor fitting front crank seal (OD too big) and a poor fitting oil pump seal (ID at the very limit for the aux shaft).

Jim

Posted: 11-07-2006 07:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Sylva

Dan

I'd bet the one's in the shop can be ten years old, and If you've stored it at least you know haw it was done.

But do not use the Kit unless it is the Goetz gasket, especilly wit 2.2  HC pistons, as I said at 8,500 rpm the std rods stretch, by 20thou of an inch, the JE/CE piston is proud of the head any way, and they can touch the head at high revs, (I speak from expensive experience) and you need the extra thickness of the Goetz.

Kelvin

Current time is 05:08 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Old Upper & Lower Gasket and Seal Kits Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems