Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > FIDANZA ALUMINUM FLYWHEELS

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
FIDANZA ALUMINUM FLYWHEELS  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-08-2006 08:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Dan Sommerfeld

Greg,

You may want to take a look at your link.  It states the part is 7lbs, but the shipping weight is 4lbs. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-08-2006 08:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I know- it's that way because of the formula I use for shipping, otherwise the shipping cost is much more than it should be. It's a long story and I didn't create this software, I just use it. Anyway, the imaginary weight of a particular item (more so for heavy stuff) on the website usually relates to more accurate costs at check out.

Posted: 11-09-2006 02:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Dan Eiland

Sorry Greg, but I can't afford to pay $900 for a flywheel. It was why I looked and shopped for another source. The Fidanza Flywheel has been around for a while and has been offered by all kinds of for-profit business' for $299-$400. Even Dave Bean sold the Fidanza Flywheels. Is there a reason the club decided to have these custom built at two to three times the price as the Fidanza parts? Just my thoughts, but why not approach Fidanza and have them make a minimum order of 10 flywheels and offer them to members for $350 + S & H? I'll purchase the first one.

Posted: 11-09-2006 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

A business of any kind operates on economy of scale and there isn't much demand for a 7 pound aluminum flywheel on the 907 engine regardless of cost. I have no idea, but I sort of doubt that Dave Bean stopped selling Fidanza because they made so much money on them. Buying 10 flywheels for thousands of dollars and sitting on stock for 7-8 years to sell them all isn't a great use of capital for the hilariously low profit on these parts. The lightened flywheels I've been selling are made a few at a time, the company that makes them ships them to me and I pay for them when I sell them. At least they are excellent quality, available, and it is a bit less than the $1,200 "custom flywheel" you mentioned.

Posted: 11-10-2006 05:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Dan Eiland

Greg,

I understand your delemma. What I was trying to suggest was to develop some kind of agreement between all the specialty companies like DB, DMS, BM, JHPS, etc... that might keep companies like Fidanza making the parts we so badly need. From what I can tell, Fidanza has made these flywheels for some time at very reasonable prices and it sounds like DB stocked a few on their shelves. If these items were passed on at more reasonable prices (basically at cost--around $299) rather than trying to make any mark-up at all--it might keep these kinds of rare parts selling just enough to keep them from being discontinued.  Also the close networking between the specialty suppliers and the big manufacturer may have also kept this item from being discontinued. I don't know what your markup is on the flywheel you currently sell, but I do know that Fidanza is willing to make a low number production to accomodate our group at a cost of $350 per Aluminum Flywheel. If you are having 2-3 custom made then don't you think the other specialty suppliers have 2-3 requests per year as well? Even if you made nothing on the items it is a service you could offer your clients and at a very low cost. Even on a presale basis. Once there are 10 orders the group of suppliers can place an order and agree they will be handled by just one of you to keep the costs down. No different than what you do with DMS, isn't it? Or something like it? You really didn't even need to stock the Fidanza Flywheel. You could have become a dealer and just listed them for sale. That is how I found one at $299 + S & H. Unfortunately Fidanza couldn't find what they needed to continue production. Hopefully, DB will be able to convince them they can supply their parts so they will make some more. All this aside, I guess I'll look for one of those lightened steel flywheels like the ones they use in Europe. Anyone know where I can find one in the US at a reasonable price? If not, then it's down to having one of my boat anchors lightened by the machine shop. 

Posted: 11-10-2006 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Sylva

Greg, can I make a comment, I think the JHPS is the bst site I've found for the 900, hence my membership, I don't have JH but I do have 900. The prices you have are generally very very competaive, compared to UK prices, and the technical knowledge of the contributors is first class.

My comment is is it possible to widen the apeal of the site to attract people with Esprits etc, I'm sure somthing could be done,without damage to the JH brand, and may move stock quicker.

Posted: 11-10-2006 10:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Harkes

Hi Dan, I follow your progress with great interest. Your car will be awesome and i can't wait to see pics of when it is all painted and of your engine.

About flywheels: if the aluminium flywheel turns out a costly affair or undoable, then i don't think you should leighten your OEM JH flywheel. Why not go for an Lotus Esprit leight weight steel flywheel. Not as leight as an aluminium one but most certainly a lot leighter than the orginal JH stocker.

Garry Kemp mounted the Esprit leightweight steel flywheel to my 2.2L engine. Have a look at;  http://jhppg.com/gallery/album109/Gearbox_conversion_007?full=1

I use an Esprit pressure plate (the flywheel/pressure plate where used with a Renault gearbox at that time).

I have heavy duty gear reduction starter as well.

Erik Harkes, JH 15175

Last edited on 11-10-2006 10:44 am by Harkes

Posted: 11-10-2006 01:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Dan,

It's not Greg's responsibility to provide parts at cost. He now seems to stock the lowest priced aluminum flywheel on the market so it must be a good deal. What's a couple hundred dollers in relation to the total cost of the hot rod JH?

When I took my flywheel to the local race machine shop they refused to lighten it at all for safety reasons. It seems there have been some issues in the past. I recall their comment, "Do you like your legs?" 

Kurt

Posted: 11-10-2006 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Ron Earp

They can be lightened to a certain extent, but, nothing like bolting on a aluminum flywheel.

There is a place that a lot of racers use to fabricate flywheels advertised in Grassroots Motorsports. I'll check an issue of that and see if I can locate them.  I've not used them, but a lot of racers do for their cars, many of which have an even "odder" compliment of parts than a JH, if you can believe that. All they need, as I recall, is your current flywheel and they will do one up in ally for you.

They are not cheap, IIRCC, last fellow I heard using them was about $450 for an ally flywheel with ring gear installed. Was for an old GT6. However, for a "group buy" with Greg or forum members I bet they'd be cheaper.  I'd be really interested in getting one, but alas, in my class they are illegal.

Ron

Last edited on 11-10-2006 02:29 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 11-10-2006 03:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Ron Earp

Well, just checked the latest issue of GRMS  - it actually came yesterday - and didn't see the place I was looking for.

I'd give these guys a call:

http://www.kennedyeng.com/

They did a special flywheel for my Ford motor to a Getrag transmission and I know they have the skills and facilities to do the job.  I don't know if they want to, but dang, replicating a flywheel is pretty easy business for shops like this and they just might want to do it - never know to you ask.

Ron

Posted: 11-20-2006 10:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
normv

Dan

You can count me in on a flywheel if iyour purchase goes ahead, if numbers are needed I may take 2. You can sen me a email to normv at tpg.com.au (I am sure you know which bits to change on that address to make it work, don't you just love spam).

Thanks Norm

Posted: 11-20-2006 01:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Dan Eiland

I tried Kennedy Engineering and they do not do flywheels. But, I have one more company that is supposed to get back with me this week on a price to custom build some aluminum flywheels. They were also telling me that there is a company across the border in Juarez, Mexico that can make the ring gears for us. I'll keep the list up to date on what I find out and will offer anyone a chance to purchase at the same price as I am getting.

Last edited on 11-20-2006 01:43 pm by Dan Eiland

Current time is 06:12 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > FIDANZA ALUMINUM FLYWHEELS Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems