Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Transmission Conversion to Ford T5

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Transmission Conversion to Ford T5  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-18-2006 04:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan Eiland

If you didn't already know, I am working on a Ford T5 conversion. Today I removed the bearing retainer from the T5 and took it, along with the JH release bearing, to the machine shop so they can shave a few thousandths off the outside of the tube so the JH release bearing will fit. Last week I purchased a clutch disc for a 1979-1983 Ford Mustang 4 cylinder SVO (at least that is what the parts guy told me) with a 5 speed and the disc is almost an exact match to the JH clutch disc. The only difference is the centerpiece fits my T5 transmission. All other dimensions are the same. I thought I would get the clutch operation worked out before I take the transmission in and have the adapter plate made. So far things are progressing smoothly. (Knock on wood) Will continue to photograph what I'm doing and keep people informed if interested.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-18-2006 11:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Earp

Hey Dan,

Excellent, looking forward to hearing more about this with some pictures. These are common transmissions and easily rebuilt, as well as easily obtainable. I'd think it'd be one of the best choices available for a 5 speed conversion. 

Ford Mustang SVO ran from 84-86 and was one of the most fun Mustangs I've owned on 25 lbs of boost, woowhee! Might be an SVO clutch, in the sense that FMS produces performance parts under the SVO Label.

I'm interested, so keep posting and putting some pictures up, thanks!

Ron

Posted: 10-18-2006 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dan Eiland

Ron,

Look under the heading Engine & Transmissions but the topic is JH Pilot Bearing Sizes and you will find some photos of my work in progress.

Posted: 10-26-2006 02:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dan Eiland

I picked up the bearing retainer and release bearing today along with the pilot bearing and my 2.2L crankshaft. The Mustang pilot bearing is now mounted in the 2.2L Lotus crankshaft and ready for my Ford T5 transmission. The old JH release bearing now fits nicely over the Mustang T5 bearing retainer and slides smoothly along the tube. Now I'm wondering, how far does the JH release bearing have to move in order to release the clutch engagement? Looking at the input shaft of my original 4 speed I would say it doesn't have to move far. With a little more work I think I'll have the clutch operation worked out so it can remain all original. Does anyone know where I could find a clutch fork boot to cover a 3 inch long mounting hole on the bellhousing? I don't think I ever had the original one to compare too when I dismantled my car. It looks like the hole in the side of the bellhousing will be about 3 inches long and 2 inches tall when this is done. Where would I be able to find clutch boots I could look at and compare to my operation and parts to see if I can find one to fit? 

Dan 

Posted: 10-26-2006 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Dan Eiland

Don't know why I didn't think about this before now, but I just went out and looked at my original JH bellhousing and I should be able to use an original JH clutch fork boot. So where do I find one of these culprits? Delta I presume?

Dan

Posted: 10-26-2006 06:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

You had better find a Mr Gasket shifter boot and see if you can make it fit. The original style is no longer made.

Posted: 11-01-2006 04:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Dan Eiland

I called the local Ford dealer and talked with one of their parts guys. The Ford Bronco used one that measures 2 7/32 X 3 5/8. I could cut the opening on the side of the bellhousing to match and then use the Bronco clutch fork dust boot. I think he said they were around $16.

Dan

Current time is 08:28 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Transmission Conversion to Ford T5 Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems