Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
John Kimbrough

Has anyone cross-referenced light bulbs currently available to those recommended in the JH Handbook.  I need to replace one of my brake/tail lights and would also like to buy spares for the turn signal and reversing lights at the same time.  Searching the internet did not bring up any bulbs that meet the wattage requirements listed. 

Thanks.  John.

Mark Rosenbaum

Unless there's a legal or concours requirement for exact replacement bulbs, you can use US type 1157 for the dual filament bulbs (Lucas 380), and US type 1156 for the single filament bulbs (Lucas 382).  The only difference is that the low-brightness filament is rated 5 watts nominal for the 1157 and 6 watts nominal for the 380.  This is trivial and makes no practical difference on the road.

John Kimbrough

Thanks, Mark, these are the bulbs I have used in the past.  Thought there might be something new.  John.

Mark Rosenbaum

Well, you might consider trying the new LED bulbs.  Probably not cost effective except for a true daily driver, but the 'cool' factor would be immense.

Ron Earp

The LED 1157 and 1156 replacements are not that expensive on Ebay. I bought a few for my race trailer because they always burn out on the loading door that gets banged around opening and closing. Trailers are always in need of some repair, always. Sort of like a JH.

I also have two 1156s in the JH race car too because we've found they burn out on race cars a lot too - lots of banging and bashing on armco. Last ones I bought were about $8 each, not a bad price for something you won't have to worry about replacing.

Just be careful when you buy them they point in the right direction. Since the LEDs are highly directional if you have some that point straight out from the socket they won't be very visible in the lens area. They make them that come out at different angles, etc. to accomidate various bulb/socket orientations.

Here are a lot on Ebay for around $20 a pair, lots of colors too!

http://motors.search.ebay.com/LED-1157_Car-Truck-Parts_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfgtpZQQfmmdZQQfmmkZQQfposZ27511QQfromZR2QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfyhiZQQfyloZQQlopgZQQmppfqyZLEDQ201157QQsacatZ6030QQsadisZ200QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

R

Last edited on 10-11-2006 01:54 am by Ron Earp

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems