Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Brake Booster  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-04-2006 09:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
wtberks

My GT's brakes are in dire need of repair.  In the last week, I have lost all power assist.  When I step hard on the brakes, I hear a hissing sound, the pedal is very hard, but will sink slowly towards the floor.  My suspusion is that the master cylinder leaked into the brake booster and blew the diaphragm.

I know I can just replace the master cylinder with a TR6 unit, but what do I do about the booster?  The only company mentioned in the archives, Partco, is no longer around.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-04-2006 10:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
wtberks

I just found Karp's in Upland. http://www.resleeve.com The say they can rebuild anything and will do whatever you want.  A wild estimation of the booster rebuild is around $300.  Has anyone heard of this place?  I suppose I should also give Delata a call to see if they have one in stock and for how much.

Last edited on 10-04-2006 10:48 pm by wtberks

Posted: 10-05-2006 04:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The late Jim Albeck installed a US-made booster and master cylinder on his GT a while back.  The source was Engineered Components, who sells a "Generation 2 Street Rod Power Booster Asembly."  IIRC this is their part number EC-490 and the price was US$275.  This sounds remarkable given that a TR6 master cylinder at the club store is currently US$250.  Their website is http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com .

According to Jim, the bolt pattern on the booster matches the JH casting.  However, you do have to buy/fabricate/modify the clevis that attaches to the brake pedal, which shouldn't be too difficult.  Also, the pipe fittings on the master cylinder follow US practice, so you'd have to install a couple of English-to-American adapters at a buck or two apiece, or make up some custom master-cylinder-to-PDWA brake lines.

There was a posting on this modification quite a while ago, probably in the Old Archives, which has a bit more information.  You might search there for the keywords "Holy Grail."

Posted: 10-05-2006 09:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Harkes

Isn't the TR6 Girling Brake Booster exactly the same as well? I always believed this. Can anyone confirm this? These are readily available at almost any TR shop.

This item is now on sale for 110 British Pounds, which is $ 207.-
The TR6 master cylinder is on sale too and costs only 85 Pounds (only $ 160 !!)

If you need both the TR6 Master Cylinder and TR6 Brake Servo then there is even a better deal: only 185 British Pounds = $ 348.-

Have a look at http://www.trshop.co.uk/special.html

Erik

Last edited on 10-05-2006 09:38 am by Harkes

Posted: 10-05-2006 01:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

There's a guy in Ohio who rebuilds them for around $80 to $120, cant remember exactly, and will even powder coat it, there use to be a link with the Buckeye Triumph club, but I don't see it there any more, I did print the info but don't have it with me right now, if your interested I can check my files and get back to you tomorrow, it may even be in the JHPS achives.

Brett.

Posted: 10-06-2006 01:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

oops

Last edited on 12-10-2006 12:23 pm by Jensen Healey

Posted: 12-10-2006 10:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
edward_davis

This whole thread started because Partco is no longer in business.  I found a reference to this same problem on a TR6 bb, with a potential solution:

http://www.6-pack.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5397

"Just wanted to let you guys know that we are repairing
Brake boosters on
Triumph cars. We purchased the equipment & inventory
of PARTCO
Automotive in March of this year. We have been trained
by Gary Price
and are now ready to help you keep yor car stopping.
We will be offering
the same services & pricing that Gary offered, and we
reline brake shoes
and build brake hoses as well. We are celebrating our
70th year this year.
We are: Brake Materials & Parts, INC _800 Sherman Blvd_Fort Wayne, IN 46808 260-426-3331 Scott We are
looking forward to
helping you..Scott"

Greg, if this info is correct, could you update the tech section of the website?  I'm glad someone is still out there providing this service. (I haven't checked this out myslef yet, so consider it heresay.)

Edward

Posted: 03-31-2008 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jay

I'm loosing my brakes fast. It's time for that brake job, master cylinder, pads, shoes... I thought that I should check, clean and/or rebuild the booster while I was at it. I have a new master cylinder and am wonder what other components I should get before I tear the system apart. Can anyone supply information of the required components and procedures to rebuild the booster. Is this something that the casual owner would qualify to do, or is it best to leave it only to some professional shop. I was reading something in the manual about an "Air Filter" and dust cover on the booster. It sounds like it is only acccessable with the booster off the car. Are various components available to rebuild the booster. Any suggestions or photos would help.

Thanks,

Jay

Posted: 03-31-2008 09:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
JodyFKerr

Jay,

I just went through my brakes on my current JH restoration project and asked the same question as you regarding the brake booster. The reality is that there's special tools involved in getting the unit apart and puting it back together again. I would strongly recommend that you have the assembly rebuild professionally. I don't believe that the home garage mechanic has the tools necessary to do the rebuild.

Jody

Posted: 04-01-2008 10:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jay

Harkes wrote: Isn't the TR6 Girling Brake Booster exactly the same as well? I always believed this. Can anyone confirm this? These are readily available at almost any TR shop.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about the TR6 booster from the TR Shop fitting up properly in the JH?

Posted: 06-12-2008 08:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

The TR-6 units don't fit without some serious mods and I would not even attempt that.

The good news is, after years of being No Longer Available, there is a super-cool brake booster upgrade available from the Club Store. This unit is BRAND NEW, not rebuilt or recycled. All the machining has been done already to make this a drop in replacement for the Jensen Healey, NO modifications are needed. Plus, this is the really cool part- the booster is 2 inches bigger in diameter and offers more brake "boost" than the original units. Manufactured with quality components in Europe, not some dodgy far east country. These are the cat's pajamas and worth every penny.

http://www.jhps.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=jhps&Product_Code=93055R&Category_Code=BRK

Posted: 06-12-2008 11:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
JodyFKerr

That's really slick looking. :)

Current time is 12:20 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Brake Booster Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems