Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > What the heck is this noise?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
What the heck is this noise?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-29-2006 09:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Glen

I've got this mystery noise noise coming out of my engine/transmission.  It sounds like something spinning against metal.  I usually hear it when the transmission is under load, such as when I start out in first, although I can make it go away if I'm very delicate with the throttle and clutch. 

At first I thought it was because I needed a new clutch (which I did), so I replaced it along with the pilot bearing and throwout bearing.

Still the noise.

When the reverse went out in my 5 speed, I thought it was related to the noise.  I replaced the 5 speed with a 4 speed out of my parts car.

Still the noise.

I don't think it's related to the engine, 'cause I can rev it till the cows come home and no noise.  The only thing left that I can think of is the pressure plate.  I don't know why this would make a difference.  Anyone have any ideas before I pull the tranny a  third time?

Glen

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-30-2006 02:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

It sounds similar to my mystery noise which turned out to be the U-joints. Have you replaced them? I was lucky the front u-joint didn't fail considering the condition it was in when it was removed.

On a 30 year old car, u-joint replacement is cheap insurance.

Kurt

Posted: 09-30-2006 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Glen

U-joints were replaced when I put in the 4 speed... had to put in a different drive shaft.  Good idea, though

Posted: 10-01-2006 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Just run the car until something fails. Then you'll know what the problem is. It sounds like you've replaced all of the relevant parts and still have the same noise. Could it be coming from the diff?

Posted: 10-15-2006 07:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Glen

Hey .. get this .. the noise was the fan against the radiator shroud.  Every time I'd torque the engine, it was just enough to rub against the shroud.

Whew ...

Current time is 09:14 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > What the heck is this noise? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems