Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
R & R of tach and speedo  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-22-2006 09:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post

Any tips about removing the insturment cluster.  Does the whole dash come out or can you remove the insutrments by them selves.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-23-2006 04:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The easiest way to service the gauges is to remove the instrument pod, which is the oval assembly into which all the gauges fit.  This requires removing the steering wheel, undoing the screw at the top of the leftmost and rightmost gauge cupolas, then (pulling / reaching under the dash and pushing / wiggling) the pod toward the rear of the car until you can gain access to, and disconnect, (a) the oil gauge pipe, (b) the speedometer cable, and (c) the two wiring connectors.  Upon disconnecting the oil gauge pipe, AT ONCE place the free end into a coffee can or plastic bag so that it won't dribble oil over the carpet.

There is a metal spike in the top center of the pod that fits into a spring clip affixed to a bracket that's part of the dash itself.  These parts are usually quite rusty and a goodly dose of penetrating oil is usually necessary to free things up.  This spike is visible in the attached photo.  In really severe cases, one must remove the tach or speedometer by itself, so that force can be applied to the spike.

It's prudent to replace the instrument and warning lights while the pod is out of the car.

Attachment: dash - inst pod rear #1.jpg (Downloaded 106 times)

Posted: 09-23-2006 12:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
John Kimbrough

Mark, does the steering wheel really have to be removed?  I have split the cowling that covers the turn signals so I can remove it without removing the steering wheel.  I have an original steering wheel and it has never been removed.  I am afraid of ruining the steering wheel and/or the emblem if I try to remove it.  Actually have never heard of someone removing the steering wheel without replacing it with an aftermarket one (perhaps the reason).

If someone knows how to remove an original steering wheel without destroying the emblem or the wheel center, I would appreciate counsel.

Still lots to learn.  John.

Posted: 09-23-2006 05:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I suppose it might be possible to remove the instrument pod without removing the steering wheel, but at best it would be an awkward maneuver and quite frankly I'd be very concerned about the threaded mounts on the rear of the instruments causing damage to the dash and/or steering wheel.  Certainly steering wheel removal is necessary if one has to pull the dash itself.  (Or, I suppose, one might conceivably be able to remove the steering wheel, upper cowl, associated switches, and steering column itself, as a unit, if for some reason one really did not wish to remove the wheel itself.)

The in-wheel escutcheon fits into an annular slot in the face of the steering wheel, and can be removed only by prising it out.  With the early steering wheels the escutcheons were plastic, IIRC, and thus extra caution is necessary.  There's always some risk of damage.  This probably wasn't all that high when the wheel's soft foamy plastic was fresh and supple, but after three decades or more, some crushing and/or tearing is likely.  The application of limited, gentle heat to the area via a hair dryer may help.  For leverage, an implement such as a dulled, round-cornered, broad-bladed putty knife is probably much better than something narrow such as a screw driver.  One might even consider the use of plastic kitchen implements if they seem sufficiently sturdy.

Once the escutcheon has been removed, the single large nut that secures the wheel to the steering shaft is visible.  This has serrations on its contact surface which may slightly abrade the steering wheel's alloy core, but the damage, if any, is solely cosmetic.  Once the nut is removed, the splines on shaft and wheel are visible.  For an initial removal the application of penetrating oil to these will help considerably.  One may also wish to place alignment marks on shaft and wheel to facilitate future reassembly.

Sometimes the wheel can be removed with a lot of to-and-fro tugging at the rim, but usually a 2- or 3-jaw puller is necessary.  An inexpensive puller that relies on threaded holes in the steering wheel does not work as there are no such holes.  When using a puller, some sort of bracing, such as short wooden or metal strips, may be desired to minimize the risk of damage to the body of the steering wheel.  Once the initial grip is broken, the wheel should slip off the shaft without much difficulty.

One or both of the steel half-collars will probably fall out at some time during the removal process; these should be found and retained for use when the wheel (or an aftermarket replacement) is reinstalled.  Delta Motorsports has collars in stock, I believe.

I favor the use of a thin wipe of anti-sieze compound on the splines and threads during reassembly.  The half-collars fit into the forward face of the wheel's hub.  Originally they were secured with a rubber band, but I've found that a silicone sealer works much better.  If alignment marks were made, they can be referred to, or one can center the car's front wheels then install the steering wheel so its crossbar is horizontal, with the potential need to reposition the steering wheel after a road test.  One must also align the tabs on the forward face of the wheel hub with the notches in the rotating collar of the turn signal switch.

The securing nut can then be installed.  For safety's sake it should be torqued down to either 30 ft-lb (per the shop manual sections E6 and E9), or 57 ft-lb (per the Specifications and a service bulletin).  With anti-sieze present, I use the lower torque value.  On my car the nut has always remained tight, but other cars may differ.

Once satisfied with the alignment of the steering wheel, the escutcheon can be reinstalled.  This is usually more difficult than the removal.  I've had least-poor luck by slipping a short side into its slot, then levering the escutcheon into place with a one broad dull blade while guiding the slot lips over the escutcheon with another.  Here again, a bit of gentle heat may help.  Possibly there are specialty tools that might be useful.

Attachment: Steering wheel.gif (Downloaded 37 times)

Posted: 09-23-2006 08:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
John Kimbrough

Thanks Mark, you always have lots of good information to share.  I think I would first try to remove the pod without removing the steering wheel.  Then, if not possible, go for it - very carefully.  Right now I don't need to do it.  John

Current time is 08:49 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > R & R of tach and speedo Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems