Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Replacement Headlight Switch

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Replacement Headlight Switch  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-19-2006 08:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
John Kimbrough

A couple of nights ago, following a nice dinner out with my wife, Mimi, we returned to my JH for the ride home in the dark.  After buckling in and starting the engine I reached to turn on the headlight switch and it just flopped up and down instead of crisply snapping the lights on.  Feeling around under the dash, I discovered that the switch had come completely apart in back.  I got a headband light out of the boot and searched for the switch parts on the floor but only found the contact slide, not the spring or whatever else is needed to hold the contacts in place.  Finally giving up on the switch repair (I was trying to impress Mimi), I unplugged the wiring from the back of the switch and jumpered the socket with an aligator clamp equipped piece of wire.  The lights worked and we drove home.

Now, I have a headlight switch to either repair or replace.  If anyone knows what the internals of the switch look like and can describe/draw them for me, I will try to repair the switch I have.  If not, I would appreciate suggestions on how to get a replacement switch.  Will the MGB or TR6 headlight switches from the same year work??  They look the same in the catalogs. 

Thanks. John.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-19-2006 09:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Believe it or not, Ace hardware carries a switch that fits and is a fine replacement until you can find a JH switch.

Kurt

Posted: 09-19-2006 11:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
colinw59

I would try Delta, Ebay or British Masters in CA (high shipping cost though with the later). There is a fan switch curently on Ebay, see link below. It's a two pole switch like the Light switch so it could work. You could take the switches apart and swap over the toggle/rocking part, as I'm sure you don't want two fan switches. Check to see if they're the same size, I would imagine they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JENSEN-HEALEY-FAN-BLOWER-SWITCH-NOS-LUCAS-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ001QQitemZ110035097135QQrdZ1

Posted: 09-20-2006 08:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
73healey

I have purchsed a headlight, hazard, and fan switches from Delta. They work and fit fine. No problem.

Jim

Posted: 05-22-2009 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Dr. E. Lopez

Kurt: How do I look for it at ACE? what do i ask for? Thanks. Also do you know the address/phone of DELTA?

Henry

Posted: 05-23-2009 12:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

To find Delta Motorsports click 'tech' on this page, and then 'parts'. Scroll down to Delta.

It's been several years since that post. Try Ace 3135472 for an on/off switch or see what else they have in stock. It will be labeled "Automotive and Marine".

Kurt 

Posted: 09-28-2010 03:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Cort Musgrave

[url=javascript: goHist(-1);][/url]

Have a look at this!!! The connectors are different but everything else appears to be the same  http://www.minimania.com/web/Item/13H6342/InvDetail.cfm  Hope this helps

Posted: 09-28-2010 01:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

John, if you have the parts from the switch it is very simple to put it back toghether, there were two styles of switch's early ones had a spring against the brass contact plate, later ones have a spring loaded plastic piston, there is no real rocket science to them but once they start coming apart it's best to clean the contact surface's, put a bit of dielectic grease in it then snap it back together using a bit of glue to keep it that way. If you need more info let me know.

Brett

Current time is 03:38 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Replacement Headlight Switch Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems