Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > To Whom Should I Bequeath My JH

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
To Whom Should I Bequeath My JH  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-17-2006 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
John Kimbrough

Perhaps all of you out there posting on the board have not had the opportunity or necessity to ponder this yet, but as an aging JH lover/owner I am beginning to consider what I will do with my beloved (JH) when I am too old and decrepit to care for her any longer.  My daughter, now 26, loves the car and drives it (with wonder) when she visits us, but is not mechanically inclined, so that presents issues.  Likewise for other relatives I would want to give the car to.   At the risk of offending someone, I would suspect that the large majority of younger folks these days do not have the mechanical ability to keep one of these beasts lovingly on the road today for more than a few years, at most.  Then what will happen - will they end up in the junk yard, the back yard, the field, parts?

After owning and caring for my JH for 32 years now, I just can't stand the thought of selling my car to someone who will not care for her properly and keep her in road condition.  When I am ready to part with her, she will likely be 50 years old or so, and I will likely be 79 or 80, if I'm lucky.  So, what are the options?

1.  Give it to my daughter who will not have the capability of dealing with its foibles and who will likely end up selling it - or worse - through no fault of her own?

2.  Sell her to the highest bidder (probably not very high) regardless of the buyers ability to work on and maintain her?

3.  Interview potential owners.  Sell or give her to the lowest bidder who has the ability to maintain her and keep her on the road?

4.  Part her out to help keep other JHs on the road?

5.  Donate her to a car museum - if I can find one that wants her?

Any other recommendations or musings from other aging or not-so-aging JH owners would get the consideration they deserve - from me.

John. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-17-2006 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Paul Koehler

Who amongst us knew what we were getting into, when we decided  to take the JENSEN HEALEY CHALLENGE? Speaking personally,it is a learn as you go process. If, one of the tenants of learning, is from YOUR MISTAKES, then let them be little mistakes. IF it a passion, then learning everything you can about your passion will follow. Of course you have a right to be concerned about something you have poured your heart and soul into, but the next owner may be a mirror image of your when your fire was first lit.

Posted: 09-17-2006 05:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
colinw59

Maybe John, you will be fortunate enough to end up with a Son in-law or Grandson who is both mechanicaly inclined and motivated enough to keep the beloved JH on the road. I have neither at this point. All potential Sons in-law stuggle with a screwdriver, however my Step son is at the moment the best candidate by far. But I wouldn't suggest you go out and get a divorce and then find someone with a capable son. That would appear obsessive! I'm not suggesting either that the fairer sex are unsuitable, it's just that you don't meet to many female mechanics or owners of classic cars.

As a final though you could be burried in her! Live long and proper!  Colin

Posted: 09-17-2006 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I sympathize.  My son is a locksmith, so one might reasonably expect him to be mechanically inclined, but where cars are concerned he has the mechanical aptitude of a bowl of sun-warmed jello.  Apparently he still possesses the charmingly naive belief he had as a six-year-old, that cars work by magic as long as they have fuel.  (Never should have let him watch "Speed Racer" on TV, I suppose....)

For some of us, it should be possible to train interested family members in the basics of sports car upkeep -- grand-daughters, in particular, seem susceptible -- in the hope that they will learn more once they inherit or otherwise acquire the car.  After all, how many of us were skilled professional mechanics when we acquired our JHs?  (You will note that I  very carefully avoid asking how many of us are skilled professional mechanics now! :^} )

And when the time comes that one must move away from sports car ownership, if one has no family member who is interested, well, we're a fairly large group, and surely some other member will have a promising niece/nephew, second cousin twice removed, or whatever, who can be nudged / encouraged / bribed into acquiring a specialty vehicle....  :^}

Posted: 09-18-2006 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
stg

Don't discount your daughter just yet.

I had an LBC when I was 19 and knew very well the tender loving care it needed and I was more than willing to give it. I did what I knew I could and hired the right people to do what I couldn't. I only let it slip to a perfect new owner when I had children and had to transfer my care focus :) If my father or grandfather had owned it, I would have never ever sold it. Girls do get attached to cars too...I still know where the Big Healey is and get christmas cards!

I am mechanically inclined but not compared to one of my brothers.  He was truly gifted and taught me a lot just by living in the same house. I believe he started his first rebuild with my grandfather before he went to kindergarten. He was constantly taking things out of the throw away pile, fixing them, and giving them back to my mom all through elementary school. It came to pass that he had a very mechanical job, of course. He never could leave his cars alone, they just needed (fill in the blank) so he had to have at least 2 cars at all times...and a Ducati, but that's another story

My other brother keeps his mechanic very well housed and probably bought them their last several boats, too! He could tell you where the battery is and *maybe* the carburetor, but guaranteed anything he drives has fuel injectors.:) His cars are beautifully cared for and alway have been. Mint comes to mind when you see them.

I guess what I'm saying is we all love cars, but each has a different way of caring for them...but they all get top notch care.

Give the girl a chance... Besides, she'll be in her 40's before you even need to worry about this...enough time for a JH nest egg to be built up by her as part of the inheiritance stipulation, if that will make you feel more secure with it's furture? :)

If not...put me on the list! I have references :)

Suzanne

Posted: 09-18-2006 08:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Harkes

stick to option 1. Your daughter seems to love the car and I am sure you there is plenty of time for you to teach her a thing or two about the car. Next time when she comes and visit, do not let her drive it but let her help you fixing what needs fixing or just show her what is what.. see if she has interest in taking care of your JH and if she picks up.

i'm 36 now and bought my JH in 2001 and had NO mechanical experience with cars let alone classic cars..or lotus..

I don't pretend to be an expert, far from it, but i learned so much during the overhaul and i'm still learning almost everyday. what i can not do, i ask others to help but mostly it is a matter of just doing it and ask a lot of questions prior at this fantastic board.

The shark is back on the road just a week or two and now i'm learning to drive it all over since so much as changed.

Teaching your daughter about JH maintenance etc should be a nice way of spending time together as well.

cheer

erik

Posted: 09-18-2006 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
ckimbrough

You're most certainly selling your daughter short!  Not mechanically inclined!?  Remember, Dad, I am my father's daughter.  Just because I haven't learned about your beloved Jensen yet doesn't mean that I CAN'T learn about it! 

You'll be surprised what a excellent protoge I'll become once you've moved out here to Oregon!

Thanks to those replies that support giving me a shot at proving my worth!

Oh, and Dad, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt--we both know that I'm not exactly proficient at stick shift yet!  :)

Posted: 09-19-2006 11:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
John Kimbrough

Thanks for all the great comments and support.  I guess it is clear now that 15375 will not go to a museum, the highest bidder, the lowest bidder, parts, and no, I won't be buried in her.  What a great outcome.  At some point Celeste, my daughter, will inherit!

I am also looking forward to teaching her some of the things that absolutely must be known in order to keep the JH running.  Like how to fix leaks, jumper wires, jury-rig switches, plugs, connectors.  How to read wiring diagrams.  What to worry about and what not to sweat.  What to carry in the boot, and why.  Critical levels, noises, readings, tools, parts, care.  Rust prevention.  And then there's the engine.....

She already knows about the message board, obviously...

Should be fun and will test our patience, compatibility, and persistence.  Loving father, John. 

Posted: 09-19-2006 01:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Dan Sommerfeld

John,

Maybe a part of her inheritence is some monies set aside specifically for the maintenance of your car.  It would help her through the rougher twists ownership will throw at her.

My daughter is now one.  Maybe I'll have it back on the road by the time she's able to drive.  Of course, maybe I'll find a good reason to take it off the road the year she learns to drive.  One can never be too careful.

Dan S.

Posted: 09-19-2006 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
stg

Yay!

Well, John, at least you know she's wise enough to come to the board for help :)

Enjoy sharing the love and joy of this JH with your daughter!

Suzanne

Current time is 04:36 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > To Whom Should I Bequeath My JH Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems