Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Spark plugs  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-30-2006 01:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Mau

I have been having problems with my spark plugs going bad and not firing. I have switched to Petronix ignition with the high output coil. I use NGK BP7ES, I have them gapped at 45 thousands.I was at 35 when my problems started.

What plugs is everyone using with the petronix ignition? And what gap are you set at?

Ron Mau

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-30-2006 02:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

BP6E(S or Y) Is a better heat range for the JH. I use Autolite 64's with good sucess.

Do your plugs show any visible signs of failure?

Kurt

Posted: 08-31-2006 03:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Judson Manning

NGK BPR6ES is what I'm using in all of my engines.  I gap them .025" to 0.035" based on the ignition system.

The gap will be determined by the c/r of the engine and the output of the coil.  The higher the c/r, the smaller the gap; the higher the coil voltage the larger the gap.

A simple Pertonix distributor kit doesn't give you any more coil output.  Neither does using the Lucas 'sport' coil or any other aftermarket coil.  Ok, maybe you do get a little more, but it's nothing like the ridiculous voltages produced by an MSD, et.al. type of ignition system.

The only time I'd go above 0.035" is if I was using stock c/r pistons and an MSD type of ignition system.

Posted: 08-31-2006 10:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
John Kimbrough

Ron, check out my web site below.  I had the same problem with my stock JH with pertronix ingnitor and high voltage coil.  I gapped them at .045 to get the engine running smoothly, then backed them off to .040 and have had no more fouling problems

http://home.comcast.net/~jrkengr2/

Current time is 04:22 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Spark plugs Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems