Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
new dream, old dream  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-22-2006 10:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
alverman

for those of you who may have read of my roasted j-h, i have tentative assurance from the insurance co. that they are going to pay to fix the car. they have only given me a guestimate on the worth so i'm not laden with ins. money yet. this was my carryover insurance who said they don't insure sport cars...so they are doing some fancy research i bet.

i am thinking of fuel injection instead of carb replacement...any ideas? any bad/good things with this idea? also where might i find such a thing? i am in touch with delta motorsports, are there other suppliers or???that may be of help?

while i have the chance i intend to upgrade as much as possible, especially electronic ignition. i would like to ask for any info regarding what to do in other upgrades. and what to look for in possible problems related to any of this work.

also, i am going to have the body shop / repair shop do the front end while it's easy to get to, maybe install sway bars.

really, what i need now is some replies to this with yea's or nea's

thanx for your kind support

al

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-22-2006 10:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
pc

I glad to hear that you're considering resurrecting your car.  There are so few left it's a real shame when one is lost.

AFAIK nobody has ever made a FI "kit" or "bolt-on" system for the Lotus 907.  I'm sure there just aren't enough cars out there to justify it from a vendor's perspective, especially when the available carbs work well.  The few systems I've heard of (or heard rumors of) were customs.  I believe Gary Kemp has done them, I have no idea what sort of systems they are (perhaps Gary can enlighten us).

I've often toyed with the idea of doing an EFI system but I've never gotten serious about it.  I doubt you'll find a shop willing to do a custom system from scratch at an acceptable price.

PC.

Posted: 08-23-2006 07:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Harkes

my sympathy for what happened to your car.

to come back to your questions: you want to upgrade as in make it more modern, reliable, faster? You can go as far as you want to go! Lotus developed the 907 into 910 and 912 for the Esprit and it went from 2.0L 907 to 2.2L. from dizzy to crank fired ignition. from dellorto's to turbo's to fuel injection...

fuel ignition will get you a more efficient fuel consumption and also little powergain especially in combination with crankfired ignition.

just depends on your budget and if you want to keep your car as much as stock or not. Me personnally: i chose 2.0L 907 block and the later 2.2L head, with x-drilled 2.2L lotus crank with HC cam carriers and covers, with 45E dellortos (38 chokes) and Pertronix II ignition. It was built by Garry Kemp and my JH just passed MOT so it is finally legal to take it on the roads and i now get to brake it in.

If i am to change anything, then it will be the dizzy/pertronix and MSD set up and switch over to crankfired ignition. No more mis firing and oil leaks into dizzy cap. Also better timing curves are possible since fully programmable and rev limiter in one.

anyway before you do anything consider a 2.2L cross drilled crank and hotter cams together with dellortos and eletronic ignition. You can always go to fuel injection and/or crankfired ignition.

good luck in your rebuild and let us know what you decide to do. I would advise you contact Judson Manning. He has also build many engines and is very knowledgeable about them and knows where to get parts. He can get you going pretty quick.

for all of you interested how Garry Kemp's engine looks like with fuel injection and crankfired ignition here are some pics: Courtesy of Garry Kemp.

Attachment: Mvc-022s.jpg (Downloaded 76 times)

Last edited on 08-23-2006 08:01 am by Harkes

Posted: 08-23-2006 08:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Harkes

you can tell Garry's engine isn't a 907 block..

Attachment: Mvc-023s.jpg (Downloaded 78 times)

Last edited on 08-23-2006 08:22 am by Harkes

Posted: 08-23-2006 08:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Harkes

and...

Attachment: Mvc-024s.jpg (Downloaded 73 times)

Posted: 08-23-2006 08:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Harkes

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album109/Gearbox_conversion_009

that is my 2.2L hybrid 907/910.. so you can see the difference.

Posted: 08-23-2006 04:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
pc

OK, now I'm really intrigued.  That awesomely cool looking engine of Gary's appears to have "Weber" style throttle bodies but has fuel rails and injectors on both the bodies and on the manifold.

Gary!  If you're out there please describe this baby.

PC.

Posted: 08-23-2006 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dan Sommerfeld

I spoke with a Mechanic in Grand Rapids, MI who says he can set up fuel injection for my JH using a Weber manifold and two Weber throttle bodies (I believe taken off of recent GM models - can't be sure if I remember that correctly (it was late last year)).  He thought it would run about $2000 to have him do it.  

I was intrigued and I may look into it further once I actually get the car sent up to him to do some work, but I probably will hold off on it until I drive the car for a while as it is.  (Yes, I am one of those guys:  buys a car that runs, tears it apart, and then only works on it for short bursts of free time in the summer - how I hate that!)

The good news is my wife wants to drive the car which means she wants me to spend more time working on it.  Time will only tell.

Dan S 

Posted: 08-25-2006 04:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
pc

Dan,

If you go ahead with the project please keep us updated.  Better yet, keep us updated, take lots of pix and write it up for the newsletter.

Even if you just have more detailed discussions about it please let us know.  It should be very interesting.

Just as a point of reference, if you go to somebody like TWM for parts you'll burn through $2000 on the DCOE bodies, injectors, fuel rails, regulator and pump.  And that's without the manifold or the ECU.

Then you'd have to add labor (a lot of it) for installation and developing the fuel delivery maps.

PC.

Current time is 11:20 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > new dream, old dream Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems