Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Delta's heater-valve conversion from vacuum to mechanical

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Delta's heater-valve conversion from vacuum to mechanical  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-21-2006 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
edward_davis

Has anyone seen/used Delta's conversion kit for the vacuum valve in the heater line?  My heater is out of the system right now because of a leak, and I'm thinking about moving away from the vacuum valve whenever I do get around to digging it out and having it recored.  I'm not a big fan of vacuum accessories, and I like simplicity. 

I have half a mind to tear out all of the heating system and just let radiant heat from the engine keep me warm in the winter time....

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-22-2006 12:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

It's my understanding that the valve is present primarily because some owners in the 1970s complained about an excess of cockpit heat when the heater was set to the OFF position.  You may find it desirable to replace the valve with a suitably sized piece of pipe or tubing so that the arrangement replicates the system used in the earlier cars.  Others have done this, apparently without ill results.

Posted: 08-22-2006 02:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ron Mau

I put a manual shut off on my heater hose  When it get's cold just turn the valve on and you have heat. How's that for simple..     :>)

Ron Mau

JH 16367

Posted: 08-23-2006 03:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
mdutch

Good solution.  That's what I do in Texas with my Jeep.  ANYTHING that interferes with A/C down here is verboten!

Speaking of which, my 19354 has after-market A/C in it!  I certainly wouldn't have chosen to install it, but that's how I got the car.  Not tested yet, but my mechanic says its functional.  But I'm not racing it, after all, so losing a few HP in favor of keeping my shirt dry is a nice option to have!

Gonna have to watch the temp on my oil-cooler and make sure it's not hogging the airflow!

Posted: 10-07-2006 10:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
edward_davis

Ron,

Where did you buy the valve for your heater hose?  An auto parts shop?  A hardware store?  I just want an idea where I should start looking.

Also, can people recommend suitable replacement heater cores?  Or should I pay the local radiator guy to rebuild mine?  I guess I could get a four-core aluminum heater....

Thanks,

Edward Davis

Posted: 10-07-2006 10:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Ha Ha Ha Ha! That was humorous! You'd probably be better off restricting the flow to keep from roasting to death in the summer.

Kurt

Posted: 05-27-2008 07:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
subwoofer

I just removed the vacuum valve on mine (18711), since it was leaking badly. Does it serve any other purpose than heater on/heater off? There still is a mechanical valve in the heater unit, right?

I'm not too fond of vacuum operated accessories either...

Posted: 05-27-2008 10:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

no, thats the only valve there is, with out it the water flows thru the heater core.

Posted: 05-27-2008 10:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
subwoofer

Good thing the fan motor doesn't work and I just bypassed the whole thing then...

Seriously, I'll have to see if I can find some mechanically controlled valve, then.

Posted: 05-28-2008 04:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
subwoofer

Investigated the matter a bit more yesterday. It would seem that my car has _both_ a mechincal valve and a vacuum valve. The hot/cold lever engages a vacuum switch when fully to the left, leading me to believe that the vacuum switch isn't necessary at all.

Posted: 05-28-2008 10:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The lever operates a flap inside the heater box, and also engages a small vac control valve, which allows vacuum to the water flow valve, turning it on and off, by removing the water flow valve, you get constant flow no matter what position the control levers are set at. There are no on / off valves inside the car, the hose's pipe directly into the heater core itself, if there are no valves on the inlet or outlet hoses, you get flow.

Brett 

Posted: 05-29-2008 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Harkes

just a silly question may be:

when turning the heater lever on and the fan; in my car the warm air does NOT come out of the 2 ball vents but only from underneath or throught the 2 vents close to the front screen.

Only cold air comes through the 2 ball vents.

is this correct?

thanks

Posted: 05-29-2008 02:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

You got it, if memory serves, those two hoses go into the heater box above the core, and are not subject to it, the fan is directly above them so you also get fresh pushed air. If want want more heated air flow they should be kept closed.

Posted: 05-29-2008 02:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
JodyFKerr

Well, yes and no.

The way that the heater box is configured those two main vents will never be as warm as the air flow through the bottom of the unit or up through the vents in the dash. It's a bit of a goofy configuration and has a bit to do with how the flaps are set and how good the seals in the unit are.

I recently restored my heater box unit, there's an article here about it:

http://www.theymightberacing.com/Projects/FrameOff/JH74G/HeaterAssemblyRestoration.aspx

Posted: 05-30-2008 03:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
dwalls1

Great article on your heater resto. I was poking around under the dash and hood on 17798 this evening and got the vacuum valve in the water line working, but can't seem to get the Hot Off lever to open the vacuum line to work the valve. From the pictures you have in your article it appears that the lever is to push down a button on the vacuum switch. Can't seem to get them coordinated. Is the lever supposed to open the switch when in the Hot position or all the way over to Cold. If you can help me out I'd appreciate it, meanwhile I will poke around some more when I get the kink out of my back from the last excursion. Thanks again for the great pics of the heater box. Dale

Posted: 05-30-2008 04:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
JodyFKerr

When the lever is all the way to the left it should comrpress the plunger.

If it's not hitting, make sure the valve is seated all the way in, I noticed on one of mine that it had a tendency to pop out.

Posted: 05-31-2008 01:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
dwalls1

Thanks for the reply Sir! I will check it out this weekend. Can't imagine why it makes sense to move the lever all the way to cold to get heat,  it must be a Limey thing. I may try to position the vacuum switch so it opens sooner as I don't have AC anymore. I assume that whatever temperture adjustment there is is accomplished some way other than slowing the flow of hot water. Thanks again for your excellent presentation. Dale

Current time is 08:32 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Delta's heater-valve conversion from vacuum to mechanical Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems