Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > DELLORTO DOCTORS...HELP!!!!

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
DELLORTO DOCTORS...HELP!!!!  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-20-2006 12:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
nvandal

Dear Folks,

I bought a pair of DLHA 45s from England. The are in excellent shape, both inside and out. The were taken off a Jensen Healey, and bought from a very decent and reputable dude who has sold lots of carbs to Delta Motorsports and I believe is a JHPS member, so I'm assuming everything is sized correctly. But I have a couple problems...one is very serious.

First question: When I fired up the car, the carburators leaked gas from the bottom. The forward one was worse, but they both leaked. I pulled them and opened them up. They were quite clean. I sprayed them with carb/ choke cleaner, and inspected the float and needle valve. When I blow into the gas inlet while holding the floats up gently, no air gets through. So, I'm assuming the valves work. This would mean, if I'm correct, that they are not overflowing. I also have my pressure regulator set at 2 PSI.

When I put them in a vise and fill the bowls, they drip out the bottom at the pump lever slot in the housing. One has a very steady drip, the other sort of weaps out fuel. I've seen enough of these cars burned up, including two that were give to me for parts, that I know the problem is potentially ( or surely ) catastrophic!

I then pulled off the bottom plate, and the diaphragms were  rusted at the center plates and the rubber was fairly stiff. I saw a reference as to this causing leaking. Is this correct? In addition, the diaphragm springs were fixed to the center plates. This isn't shown in a blow up diagram; they are separate parts. So, is it correct that they are attached?

Second question: How in hell do I get the pins out so I can remove the floats to get a new gasket on the top, or perhaps replace the needle valves? One end of the holders has a vertical slot, as you know. I don't want to take measures that might damage the carburator, so can someone please let me know the correct way?

Third question: Has anyone bought Dellorto parts from the dude in Italy, Alpha whatever? I've found him on Ebay and his prices are super compared to a few other bandits. If so, did it take a dog's lifetime to get it?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Norm Vandal

Roxbury, VT

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-20-2006 01:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Ketcham

Norm,

Last question first.  The supplier from Italy, Alpha1750, has been excellent with all my orders and ships promptly (1 to 2 week delivery).

First question - It does not surprise me that carbs that have been out of service have leaky seals.  My general rule for any used carb is to clean and replace all gaskets and seals with an overhaul kit.  These kits are relatively inexpensive and are on eBay all the time.  As a matter of fact, Alpha1750 sells them, as well as, JHPS.

More importantly, it will give you the opportunity to check the jetting and document the setup of the carb for future performance tuning and comparison to the specs that other JH owners have.

Also, the diaphragm spring is not attached to the diaphragm.  At least not in any Dellortos that I have worked on. 

Second question- The float pin (float fulcrum bar) taps out of the float bowl cover very carfully.  Since the float bowl cover is cast alum. be careful not to pry or tap on it as it will easily crack, especially the arm with the vertical slot in it.

Good luck,

Jim

Posted: 08-20-2006 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
John Finch

Norm, get the Des Hammill book if you don't have it. "How to Build and Power tune Weber & Dellorto Carbs" Ebay or Amazon. Per the book, Always tap the float retaining bar through using a pin punch from the solid leg side and NOT the split leg side.  Also from the book, The needle and seat assemlby can be unscrewed and should be replaced with a new assembly unless you are working on a relatively new carb. The needles are prone to wear on the very tip of the needle where it contacts the seat. Worn needles have an annular groove or indentation present all the way around the conical portion of the needle. The wear on the seat is less apparent as it is down the hole of the fitting. Replace the needle and seat as an assembly. Needles can be all metal or rubber tipped. The book is excellent, it along with the JHPS forum will get you back on the road. Best of luck. John

Posted: 08-20-2006 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Joel

If you want to pay someone to rebuild and clean them up I suggest contacting Dan at
[url=http://us.f562.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=bullsport@toast2.net&YY=76639&order=down&sort=date&pos=0]bullsport@toast2.net[/url]

I think he charged me 175 bucks to ultrasound clean them, rebuild them and also clean the manifold.

I was really happy with the work he did. No affiliation, blah, blah, blah.

Tell him I recommended him. He likes the JH's so he'd like to know that 'we're' giving him business.

Posted: 08-21-2006 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
nvandal

Joel,

I tried the address, but couldn't get connected. Do you have his businesss name. Also, when they are cleaned with ultrasound, do they look essentially new?

Thanks,

Norm Vandal

Posted: 08-21-2006 01:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Joel

His name is Dan Evans and he is on Ebay under 'bull sport'.   I can't seem to find his phone #.  I'll see if I can find it in my PayPal receipts. . .

I'm not always the best about keeping my receipts and junk. 

And, yes, when they're sonically cleaned they come back looking practically new.

I LOVE the Dells.  If for nothing but the wonderful sound that they make. . . . .

Posted: 08-21-2006 01:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
nvandal

Joel,

Tried to locate him on Ebay. No luck.

Norm V.

Posted: 08-21-2006 02:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Paul Koehler

Norm,

Try http://www.bullsport.squarespace.com or 503-623-7678. Let us know what you find out. I would be intrested if you wish to share your findings.

PK

Posted: 08-21-2006 05:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Joel

These are the guys.  I had a great experience with them.

Posted: 08-21-2006 10:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
nvandal

First of all, thanks to all of you who've helped with your suggestions, etc.

Joel...I'll call these guys tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about setting these up on the car myself. They were origially set up on a Jensen, so do you think Bull Sport could set them up the way they were, or approximately so, in order for me to get the car running so I could get it to a tuner shop? Is this a good idea?

Thanks,

Norm V.

Posted: 08-21-2006 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Joel

Whether it's a good idea or not - it's what I had planned to do.  Instead, I ended up taking everything to someone in Orange County (Viking Motor Sports) and having them put everything together for me.  I was just too busy with travel. ..

There's a bunch of threads on here about how to get your Dells running.  I'd give it a shot - of course I'd probably screw it up and need some help - but I'd try it anyway. 

Good luck!

Posted: 08-21-2006 04:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

You'll probably want to spend some time soaking those carb bodies once you have them apart. A sonic cleaning is best, but you can get by with some good quality carb dip. Those passages will be pretty mucked up and heavily varnished from years of sitting around. You might also need to figure some rejetting in your master plan as well since they never seemed to be just right for the engine you're putting them on.

Posted: 08-21-2006 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
edward_davis

Joel wrote:
I LOVE the Dells.  If for nothing but the wonderful sound that they make. . . . .

I've heard several folks wax poetic about the sound of Dells.  What is it about their sound that's so cool (I ask, having never heard them).

Edward

Posted: 08-21-2006 10:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Joel

I have stock exhaust - and I've set off car alarms when I punch it. 

Current time is 08:00 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > DELLORTO DOCTORS...HELP!!!! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems