Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > back to that 5 speed getrag repair

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
back to that 5 speed getrag repair  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-19-2006 02:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Glen

Anyone know where we Northern California folks can get it fixed?  If not, where can we find out how to fix it ourselves.  Has anyone done this?  I didn't see anything in the club garage.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-20-2006 12:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Glen,

There is a BMW guy here in Atlanta who has done several.  Email me if you're interested and I'll see if I can find his contact info.  Given that a lot of parts are NLA, this may be a good opportunity to convert to the Supra 5sp.

Judson

Posted: 08-20-2006 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ron Earp

And I saw and advertisment in Roundel for a company that will do them. I can try and dig out is you wish, but it was expensive to do an overhaul on. I called them about a year ago and didn't get a firm price, other than "we can look at it but most cost far more than they are worth, over $2,000 to completely rebuild". Maybe they didn't want to do the work, I don't know, but I've been told by Judson and others rebuilding them costs a small fortune.

R

Posted: 08-21-2006 12:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Glen

So ... nobody knows how to take these apart and see what's wrong?  It might be some part that can be machined or something.  It seems like SOMEBODY has taken one of these apart and knows how to deal with them. 

I'd like to keep mine all original, but $2000 seems like a rip off, and the Supra thing seems pretty mickey mouse.  Has anyone tried a tranny off a BMW?  If the 2002's could fit a getrag 235/5, couldn't the Jensen fit one of the standard 2002 4 speeds?  Is there another BMW tranny that might work? 

I've got a Jensen Healey 4 speed, is it tough to modify that in place of the 5 speed?  I've seen lots of people go to the 5 speed from the 4, but nobody has gone the other way.

Posted: 08-21-2006 01:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ron Earp

There have been some that have gone from five to four speeds.  Fellow that I got my five speed from in California did that.  The four speed is tough and easily obtainable. You'll need a new driveshaft and that is about it to put a four speed in place of your five speed. There is a thread on it around here, with some pictures of the shafts.

There are few parts available for the Getrag five speeds, and, no "rebuild" kits that I am aware of. As far as the Toyota tranny being Mickey Mouse, well, not sure about that - it is flat out a better transmission in design and function.  Gear ratios are not as good IMHO, but it'll shift better and last longer, plus be repaired or replaced for next to nothing.

If the thought of a Toyota transmission doesn't jive with you then you can fit one of the BMW 320 transmissions in there, or a Ford World Class T5 as some other member has done. The T5 stoof up well to 300 ft/lbs of torque, and with upgrades that are cheaply available it'll handle much more.

R

Posted: 08-21-2006 01:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Judson Manning

The 235/5 is a rare thing, which makes it special - not necessarily practical. 

Before dismissing the Supra conversion, keep in mind Lotus chose this transmission for the 912 powered Excel.  Other production transmissions include Lotus' own 5sp plus the Getrag 265 (early BMW M3) found in the Elite 2.0 & 2.2 (both short lived). 

Unfortunately, your choices are limited to the JH4, JH5, Excel, and Elite solutions unless you decide to fabricate your own custom bellhousing.  Finding one of those Elite or Excel bellhousings is the other challenge.

If budget is an issue, do the JH4sp swap.  That will give you time to shop around for someone to help determine the best 'fix' for your 235/5.

Posted: 08-21-2006 01:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
George

Someone is listing a GT for sale in the marketplace, where he says he took out the 5 speed and put in a four, you might contact him. 

Posted: 08-22-2006 11:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Glen

How about instructions regarding taking the getrag apart? anybody?

Posted: 08-24-2006 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

My copy of the shop manual, as reprinted by Motorbooks International, contains fairly complete instructions for dealing with the 5-speeds.  I haven't done a line by line check but based on a casual glance, the information presented there appears to be identical to the factory shop manual supplement.

If you don't have a copy of the shop manual, and can't find one in the club store or Delta Motorsports, you might check eBay.

Posted: 08-24-2006 01:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
normv

Try this guy they do a lot with getrags http://www.metricmechanic.com/

Posted: 08-24-2006 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Ron Earp

Interesting they don't list the transmission either on those pages with the early Getrags.....but maybe they can rebuild just the same, will keep them in mind! Thanks!

Posted: 08-25-2006 03:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Judson Manning

Sorry Ron & Norm....

The 235/5 uses Porsche Synchros and the guys at Metric Mechanic absolutely hate it!  Too bad all of the other BMW 320 transmissions have integral bellhousings. 

That puts us back to the Getrag 265 and 262/CR used in the 6cyl BMWs and M3s....which was in fact adopted to the Elite 2.2.  The real ticket would be to get a MetricMechanic "ultimate" version of the 265. 

Again, good luck finding one of the Elite 2.2 bellhousings.

Current time is 07:15 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > back to that 5 speed getrag repair Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems