Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > 1972-1975 rear wheel bearing

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
mule

Does anyone have a picture of the rear wheel bearing kit that fits 1972-1975 Jensen Healey?  Timken and BCA use the same part number, i.e. RW109R.  I saw one many years ago and remember the kit included a bearing, backing plate, and lock ring, but I'm trying to remember if there was anything else included.

Thanks.

Mark Rosenbaum

For what it's worth, attached is a photo of what is supposed to be the QH bearing kit.  I have not personally examined the parts in question and therefore can not vouch for their correctness.

Attachment: Brg set #2 QWB149C.jpg (Downloaded 112 times)

Last edited on 08-18-2006 12:49 am by Mark Rosenbaum

mule

Thanks for your quick reply and picture, Mark.

I now believe I was mistaken in saying that the Timken and BCA part number RW109R include a backing plate.  I think Green Ball Bearing used to make the backing plate for RW109R, but I don't remember their part number for it.

I didn't notice a backing plate in your picture, Mark.  Maybe the '72-75 Healey doesn't require it...?

In any event, Timken has a part number RP109, and I think this is the item I'd like to see pictured.  What I saw years ago was from a distributor that packed RW109R and RP109 together, selling it as a kit.  I'm still trying to remember if there is any hardware that goes with it, or if it was just the bearing, lock ring, and backing plate....

Mark Rosenbaum

Attached is a modified factory parts drawing showing the parts in question.  Naturally, each axle requires a full set of them.  The highlighted items are:
  • 35 -- Bearing (usually provided with items 36 and 37)
  • 36 -- O-ring
  • 37 -- Bearing retaining ring
  • 38 -- Bearing retaining plate
  • 39 -- Gasket
It should be fairly clear that the bearing is located internally by ring 37 and secured by plate 38 (which is generally re-usable).  Oil sealing is accomplished by o-ring 36 and gasket 39.  Note that the bearing is a press-fit on the axle and that a large press is generally required for its removal.

Attachment: Rear axle bearings.jpg (Downloaded 81 times)

mule

Great drawing, Mark!  I found it--together with your information that the retaining plate is generally reusable--even more helpful than your original picture.

I wondered why some aftermarket distributors neglect to offer the plate, or as in Timken's case, sell the plate separately.

Thanks a lot for the benefit of your knowledge and the promptness with which you shared it.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems