Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
engine storage question  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-14-2006 10:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
brino

A question concerning my project '74 JH. While the car is uncompleted I occasionally turn the engine over by hand as a precaution against it seizing up & this evening while doing so I wondered does it matter which direction the engine is rotated in? Also, is it recommended that the engine is rotated a complete 360 degree or more? How often should this be done---the car is inside in heated shop. As usual , thanks for the help.

Brian

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-14-2006 11:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Opinion only:

I'd turn it at least two full turns so that everything was fully exercised -- preferably three turns, or five, so that the engine internals are not always sitting in the same orientation for weeks on end.  (This may only matter for the valve springs.)  Doing this once a month or so should be adequate.  Turning things clockwise (viewed from the front) is probably best, as the stresses on the timing belt and belt tensioner should be slightly less that way.

Posted: 08-15-2006 01:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Judson Manning

As Mark indicates:  Always rotate an engine clockwise

For added precaution, squirt a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes to lubricate the rings.  If you want to be really aggressive, fill the crankcase with this stuff.

One potential problem is that the oil pump won't prime with hand-cranking.  Hence, the crank won't get fed any oil, and you can/will eventually tear up the bearings.

Current time is 05:33 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > engine storage question Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems