Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Wheels > I'm going with 16's and I'm not sure what offset

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
britter

Looking at these wheels in 16x7 and 16x8...What backspacing do I need?

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/RoadRaceSeries.htm

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Just use the search function to get all the wheel info that's been posted.

http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=487&forum_id=12&highlight=wheels

Ron Earp

16", IMHO, would be a bad idea.  It'd get you nothing over traction that you couldn't get with careful selection of rubber (I've got 225s on the stock wheels, far too big), and, it'd get you a lot of unspring weight and gear reduction.  The latter two you do not want in the 2L, or 2.2L cars. b

britter

Actually I need gear reduction...I have 375 horsepower and a 373 rear...that's why I was thinking 16's

Ron Earp

Ah, you've the Chevy motor. Run that thing on a chassis dyno yet? Be interested to see how it pans out at the rear wheels.   You might want some larger wheels, but you won't get much gear reduction out of larger wheels and tires.

Is it a stock JH rear end? Not much difference in rear gear ratios available for the JH rear. You could go to a narrowed Ford 7.5" or 8.8", or even a 9" rear and have whatever gear ratios needed on the cheap!

britter

Yes it's a tock rear end...I should have ot tuned up by next week and then I 'll post some numbers...I'm thinking about a Ford 9", just curious about how to bolt it in there...Back to the welder I guess....the 373 sure is fun though...

Pat Connor

For your information  a rear end out of a Chev S10 or GMC Sonoma width wheel flange to wheel flange is 54 inchs the same as the Jensen Healey and comes with either 9.5" x 2" drums or discs.  I am at present installing one in my Jensen- Healey Chev.  The lower control arms can be used with the brackets off the Jensen allowing use of the stock springs and shocks. However the upper arms cannot be used as stock due to the wider and taller Chev casting.  I am at present deciding whether to modify the Jensen upper arms or go to a conventional four link setup and a Panhard rod.

Ron Earp

Hmmmm.........................Pat that is some good information, thanks!

Ron

Pat Connor

I have also learned that their was a Torsen LSD available as an option for the 1998 Camaro and Firebird which uses the same axel.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems