Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > five speed one piece drifeshaft?????

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
five speed one piece drifeshaft?????  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-27-2006 06:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
nvandal

Folks,

Put a 5 sp. Getrag in my car. I had a new one piece driveshaft made to copy another one I had as a pattern. Problem is I don't know which end goes where on the car? Does the slip joint go at the transmission or at the differential???

Can someone who has  this driveshaft ( the one piece conversion ) tell me how it goes???

Thanks,

Norm Vandal

Roxbury, VT

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-28-2006 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Was waiting for someone to comment who's actually done this themself, but I guess they're all busy elsewhere.  As I understand things, most aftermarket one-piece driveshafts for 5-speeds have fixed flanges front and rear and a sliding yoke just behind the front flange.

Posted: 07-28-2006 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
nvandal

Mark,

Yes, that's the shaft. I'm not certain if the slip joint goes at the tranny end or at the differential end. Sounds like you're not very certain???

Thanks,

Norm Vandal

Posted: 07-28-2006 07:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Call it 90-95% certain.  My car has a 4-speed, and where 5-speeds are concerned, all I've seen is photos and line drawings.  However, it's good engineering practice to locate a sliding joint (slip joint) where it receives the least amount of side force, which in a car with a live rear axle means at the transmission end.  In the final analysis, I believe that the flanges on transmission and differential have different bolt spacing dimensions, so you could probably make a couple of measurements and be 100% certain.

Posted: 07-28-2006 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mitch Ware

IIRC correctly, Mark is right. Its been a while since I was under my car. And that is a good thing

Mitch Ware

Posted: 07-28-2006 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ron Earp

Guys, if you've already made the driveshaft it is only going to bolt up one way - the axles has a flange and the transmission has a yoke on it. When you crawl under the car it'll be apparent how the driveshaft gets installed.

Posted: 07-28-2006 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
nvandal

Ron,

Sorry to disagree, but the five speed Getrag has a flange that is identical to the flange on the differential. The driveshaft has a u-joint flange at each end that bolt to the transmission flanges at either end. Hence the shaft can be installed either way. I've pulled two of these out of five speed vehicles, one was a 75 that had the rubber mount, two-piece driveshaft. the other was a GT that had t6he retrofit driveshaft. unfortunately, I didn't make a note of how it was attached.

Your car must be a hybrid...

Norm Vandal

Posted: 07-28-2006 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
nvandal

Ron,

Crawl under the car???? In the past year I completely stripped three Jensens, including grearboxes, engines, and whatever else was good. I JUST tore out my fourspeed, along with the old header. Replaced rear main seal, pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, even had to relocate the transmission mount to accommodate the five speed. Man, let me tell you...I HAVE ben under the car, which is still on jackstands in my yard!

I try not to be frivolous with these questions. When I don't know, I ask. But I don't ask if I can figure it out myself, which I usually can do.

Thanks,

Norm Vandal

Posted: 07-28-2006 10:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ron Earp

Sorry, didn't mean to get anyone fired up.  Mine is clearly different and I was just going by my experience.

My five speed in the JH has a universal output on the rear of the tranny that has a female yolk on it. My solid one piece drive shaft has male splines that engage that yolk.

The other end of my 5 speed driveshaft has a U joint attached to a flange. This flange mates precisely with the diff input, which is also a flange. The diff in my car is from a 4 speed car.

My four speed transmission was similar, but the 4 speed drive shaft had a female yolk on one end, with the same flange on the other end for the diff.  My four speed drive shaft would not work with my five speed, and visa versa.

So, it looks as if I've never seen a "real" five speed setup.

R

Last edited on 07-28-2006 10:05 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 07-28-2006 10:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
nvandal

Ron,

Here's a link to Pete's who sells a driveshaft like the one I had made.

http://jhppg.com/pk1204.htm

Perhaps your gearbox has a different setup as it may have had in a BMW?

Incidentally,

I'm pretty close to a .810 vented rotor front brake system, using aluminum calipers and a Wilwood rotor with a custom hat. Won't you need this on your track car???

Thanks again,

Norm Vandal

Posted: 07-28-2006 11:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Ron Earp

Wish I could use the vented rotors, but, that is illegal.  We can get them to work without vented rotors aka Z cars, TR8s, and lots of others that race.  Usually it means three ducts per front wheel - one hat that blows on both sides of the rotor, one duct blowing at the caliper, and one duct blowing at the hub.

So far I've only fabricated the rotor hat, but we'll do the rest too.

That driveshaft looks the same I think.  That yolk, shown on the front of that drive shaft, it bolted to the back of my transmission. And, all I've ever done is pull that driveshaft, that has splines in the front of it, out of the yoke while the yoke remains on the tranny.

The part on the rear, without the splines and looks short and stubby, goes into your diff. As Mark said, the slip joint will go into the transmission end.

So, I think yours and mine are the same after all.  I just made the mistake of assuming that yolk was already bolted to your tranny, at which point it'd be painfully obvious which end went where because it could only go one way.

Best,
Ron

Posted: 07-28-2006 11:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
nvandal

Ron,

Wow...this is becoming confusing.

Each end of the driveshaft has a yoke with flange ( same piece ). I can give you the Spicer reference if you like. Nothing goes INTO anything. Both the transaxle and the transmission have flanges that mate to the driveshaft and tranny flanges, and attach with four, one inch long 3/8x24 bolts and lock nuts. This was the system on the GT and the 75 that I broke up...identical except one had the retrofit driveshaft.

Norm vandal

Posted: 07-28-2006 11:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Ron Earp

So yours does not look like this, but has two yokes?? I think that is one yoke too many.

Last edited on 07-28-2006 11:25 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 07-29-2006 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
nvandal

Ron,

Yes, mine is like this. It's interesting how terminology can create confusion. I checked Dana ( Spicer ) and here's what this shaft has, from left to right;

a flange yoke connected to a slip yoke

a splined shaft welded into the main tube

a weld-on yoke welded to the tube

a flange yoke

Essentially, both halves of a u-joint are yokes, and there are a number of types.

Anyhow, thanks for the discourse and the answer. Looks like the end with the slip yoke is at the transmission. I'll get it on tomorrow!

Have a good evening,

Norm Vandal

Posted: 07-29-2006 01:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Ron Earp

I'm sure my terminology isn't right. I was calling the flanges the things with four holes in them, the u joints, well, you know what those are, and the only thing I thought of as a yoke is the tube with splines that the driveshaft plugs into.

Hope you got it and it'll bolt right up!!!!!!!!

Best,
Ron

Current time is 08:12 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > five speed one piece drifeshaft????? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems