Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Headlight surround removal on 73 JH

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Headlight surround removal on 73 JH  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-27-2006 05:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dana McPeek

After removing the 2 screws under the edge of the hood, how is the surround/nacele removed?  The manual is no help.

Dana McPeek
1973 Jensen Healey MkI 1110/11609[code]

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-27-2006 09:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Harkes

there is another bolt, but you have to reach inside the wheel arche/space. Once you have removed that bolt it comes off easily. Good luck.

Erik

Posted: 07-27-2006 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dana McPeek

will do that today.
Thanks

Posted: 10-19-2018 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

Do yourself a favor, when you reinstall the headlight surrounds replace that nut with a stainless steel wingnut.

Posted: 05-18-2020 04:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
PF18602

For anyone that was as confused as I was about how that whole assembly worked:

I pulled the bolt out and found that it was one of the threaded inserts meant for plastic. Planning to epoxy it back in.

The stud size is 1/4-28. Rare, and especially difficult to find wing nuts for that thread count and size. Ended up getting some brass ones from McMaster-Carr

Happy Jensening,
Patrick

Attachment: 2DED845F-99AE-468D-ABDE-39849DEB81B4.jpeg (Downloaded 76 times)

Posted: 05-19-2020 05:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
noomg

Brass should work however it is softer than S/S which might make it more susceptible to striping treads. You can usually find S/S wingnuts at your local marine chandlery.

Posted: 05-19-2020 06:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
redracer

the steel 1/4"X 28 thds is NOT glued into place. There is(was in your case??) a brass split female insert(knurled on the outside) that expanded when the rod is screwed into it. If you still have the brass insert(I do have quite few, just in case) separate that from the rod and maybe epoxy/fiberglass the hole & redrill if necessary.
When you do put the shroud back on, be sure to adjust the inner nut & washer to keep it about 1/8" off the fender top or you WILL CRACK THE SHROUD--All vehicles "flex" to keep pieces from breaking/cracking.
good luck, bruce

Posted: 05-20-2020 04:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
PF18602

I’m sure the knurled brass insert on mine wasn’t glued in before; but it was loose in it’s seating. It is also fully seized onto the stud, so instead of try to replace all those parts, and I don’t see any reason that it would need to come out again, so I’ll just make it permanent.

I liked the idea of brass for the reason of it being softer. With everything adjusted well, the cowl shouldn’t have that much load on the wingnut, and I think it will take vibration better, and a lock washer will have more of an effect on it since it can dig in a bit. 1/4-28 is a weird size, so McMaster was the only place I could find them.

Patrick

Posted: 05-22-2020 02:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
noomg

I've found installation of the headlight buckets tends to be a bit of an art as much as a mechanical installation. It's yet another thing which makes me think the Jensen-Healey is somewhere between a production vehicle and a hand built car. Another example is the armrests being carved out of wood, not something you expect to see on a production car.

Current time is 10:05 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Headlight surround removal on 73 JH Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems