Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Starter Motor Problem  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-25-2006 08:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Panini

Well, after finally getting the pertronix sorted out and working, the starter motor decided to start giving us troubles. It will crank the engine for about 3 seconds, then stop for about 1 second, and then crank for 3 more seconds and so on...

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jeff & Nick

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-25-2006 08:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

If the starter motor itself quits rotating, rather than rotating but no longer turning the engine, then the problem might be a worn-out or oil-soaked contact brush.  Replacement brushes are sometimes available, but require spot-welding to install (the local starter repair shop ought to have the equipment to do this).  As an alternative you could replace the starter with one of those high-torque geared starter motors.

If the starter motor continues to rotate but won't turn the engine, you probably have a problem with the starter's bendix gear, or perhaps a loose ring gear on the flywheel.  In the former case, I'd suggest replacing the starter as above.  In the latter case, you could pull the starter and see if  it's possible to tack-weld the ring gear to the flywheel; if not, you'd have to drop the transmission and pull the flywheel for an on-the-bench repair.

Posted: 07-26-2006 12:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Panini

Mr. Rosenbaum,
 Thank you for the speedy responce to my 15 yr oldes needs. Can you tell he has his permit and can't wait to get his JH running.
We actually got it to turn over, advancing the timing quite a bit. I could not achieve a smooth idle. When I retarded the timing there was quite a loud banging coming from the side of the engine where the valve covers. It seems to dissapear when I advance the timing. I'm just hoping this is not bad news.
We will have to order a starter ASAP.
Thanks again for your help.

Last edited on 07-26-2006 12:00 am by Panini

Posted: 07-26-2006 08:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Harkes

Hi Jeff & Nick,

is your engine stock 2.0L? or is it a 2.2L? is it stromberg or dellortos?

initial timing of a stock 2.0L 907 with dellortos should be around 12 degrees BTDC at idle, provided your engine is in good condition. When you advance the timing beyond 12 degrees then you get more cylinder pressure which the starter must overcome to crank the engine. Too much initial timing, besides the starter load, can also run the HC emission levels beyond legal levels.

when you have set the initial timing too high for your engine then the starter may not be able to crank the engine and quit...then to try again.

when you get the spark in there way too soon or way too late then it will cause detonation or even engine damage. So be careful when advancing or retarding the initial (static) timing! Before you start the engine again check the initial timing with a continuity light using the coil..and set it to spec. When that is done and you still have starter problems, then a new starter would be in place.

If you have a 2.2L with high compression, like my engine, then a heavy duty gear reduction starter is recommended. My 2.2L with dellortos and 10.9:1 compression is set to 15 degrees initial timing at idle.

it might also simply be you don't have 12 volt upon start-up, meaning you'd have to charge your battery. Check your volt meter before starting to make sure you have 12 volts (when its in the red, the starter may not have enough power to crank but it will try.)

good luck, hope it helps

Last edited on 07-26-2006 09:04 am by Harkes

Current time is 05:47 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Starter Motor Problem Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems