Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Body & interior stuff  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-13-2006 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Todd Overton

Has anyone been successful in removing the windshield and frame as a unit without breaking the glass or damaging the car/body?  I've removed all bolts and the unit is loose, but the brackets hit the body and the unit therefore is not lifting out.  Have not tweaked or forced it much in fear of breaking a nice used windshield.  Read the previous threads about what a pain it is to remove just the windshield glass, so thought that removing the entire unit seemed like a good idea, but the theory seems better than the reality.  It doesn't appear that this approach will work.

Anyone have any suggestions besides biting the bullet and removing just the glass?

Thanks,

Todd

p.s.  In the quest to get JH #19326 back on the road after a 13 year hiatus (and the renewed excitement about the marque that the whole adventure has caused), we've someone wound-up with 5 JH's.  Yikes.  #19326 did make it's maiden drive around the neighborhood this past weekend however after a very long slumber.  Nothing like a car moving under it's own power to get the project juices flowing!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-14-2006 07:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Tony Hollart

Looks like your getting plenty of views but no replies, so here is my penny's worth. I did manage to get the frame with glass intact off the car, I had the dash out completely and used a solvent ( petrol I think ) to soften up the rubber mastic along the bottom edge of the screen. I made sure I cut and prised carefully and yes it did come away. Warm ambient temperatures would help also.  The reverse ie putting the screen back in, I had put the dash back in and it was suprising that the top of the dash was in the way, however after a bit of wiggling and an assistant applying the bead of mastic as per the manual, it all went back on. Again a warm day helps as things are softer. Seems to have sealed well along the bottom edge. My car looks as if it has had a replacement windscreen at some stage as it is a Royal Dalton brand from U.K, now you cant get more British than that. Tony H.

Posted: 07-14-2006 11:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Todd, I tried removing the whole unit, frame and all, all it took was just a small twist and, Crack, after that it came out real easy, I even went to a scrapyard and tried to remove the glass by it's self from a junker, and had no luck, from reading other peoples post, I would suggest you remove the glass first using lots of solvent to loosen up the mastic, some thing I didnt use.

Good luck, and by the way a new windshield cost around $300, plus shipping, probably $100 to $200 depending on were you live, so go slow and take your time.

Brett.  

Posted: 07-16-2006 05:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Todd Overton

Thanks Tony and Brett very much for your thoughts and insights!  After reading your replies, I've decided to be safe and just pull the glass off first before removing the frame especially since the dashboard is still in the car.  As you noted Brett, the glass does not come cheap.  Have checked used glass (British Masters, Ebay, etc.) as well as new glass (Ebay, etc.) for many months now and feel lucky to have found a used windshield to replace my shattered one.  Just wanted to make sure there was not some trick to it that I had missed (other than the "bit of wiggling" that you noted Tony!). 

This forum is fantastic - thanks to all who have taken the time to note their experiences, answer questions and pass on their knowledge in writing on all subjects.  It's fantastic and a huge asset to the less experienced owner.

- Todd  

Posted: 03-12-2007 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
DeDub

I was not so lucky removing my used windshield today; a tiny crack at the corner suddenly took a wild ride out across the middle when we tried to remove the windshield and frame together.  Sooooo, I have to bite the bullet and find replacement glass, and soon.  It sounds like some of you have found something, altho frightfully expensive.  I'm open to suggestions.

David

Posted: 03-13-2007 12:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Todd Overton

David:

Sorry to hear about your windshield.  It seems to happen that way quite often unfortunately.  I wound-up cutting the body away at the bottom corners of the windshield frame just for extra clearance since the donor car was going to the scrap yard anyway.   That enabled the windshield and frame to be pulled away safely with minimal twisting. It has not been reinstalled yet so not sure how that will go. 

FYI - there is a used replacement windshield currently listed on ebay.  It's located in southern California I believe.  Not sure how far that is from you, but just giving you a heads-up.

Take care,

Todd

Posted: 05-12-2007 10:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Pat Connor

!#$&%%$ I did the no no and broke my windshield. Does anyone out there know where to get a new one?

Current time is 11:39 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Body & interior stuff Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems