Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > REMOVAL OF KEY IGNITION SWITCH FROM STEERING COLUMN

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
REMOVAL OF KEY IGNITION SWITCH FROM STEERING COLUMN  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-11-2006 02:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Timothy Slovak

The ignition switch and steering column lock are bolted to the steering column via some sort of "U" clamp.  I need to remove same and replace with a used unit that actually works.  However, it appears that the manufacturer used some type of anti-theft fasteners to clamp the ignition switch/steering column lock to the steering column. 

Other than cutting the clamping portion off of the steering column, has anybody used any other means or know how to effect the removal of the ignition switch from the steering column ?

Thanks!!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-11-2006 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Mau

I used a dremel and cut a slot into the snap off head and then used a screwdriver to remove the bolt.

Ron Mau

Posted: 07-11-2006 02:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Judson Manning

The shop manual is pretty clear in that the only way to remove it is to drill out the tamper-resistant screws.  Ron may have the right idea with the dremel tool.

Posted: 07-13-2006 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Timothy Slovak

Ron,

Thanks, good advice it worked like a charm, now all I have to do is to put it back together.  Again, thank you.

Tim

Posted: 07-13-2006 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Timothy Slovak

Judson,

Thank you for the shop manual tip - I need to spend more time in the manual.  I was able to use the dremel approach successfully.

Thanks Again,

Tim

Current time is 02:04 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > REMOVAL OF KEY IGNITION SWITCH FROM STEERING COLUMN Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems