Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rottiserie  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-10-2006 07:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul Prinsen

Does anyone have a picture of a Jensen on a "rottiserie"? Stripped my car down to the shell, and would like to be able to rotate it, so I can have good access to the bottom. Once I see what the setup like that looks like, I can probably build one.

Any pictures, information or tips would be most welcome.

Cheers, Paul

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-10-2006 07:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
jcdean

I found the following link.  All the usual disclaimers apply:

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/57vette/57Vette-flip.html

Posted: 07-10-2006 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jim Ketcham

The club has a rotisserie for loan somewhere.  Pictures of it can be found in JH Photo Gallery.  http://jhppg.com/gallery/album40/fPrimer1

Works fine with a pair of saw horses.

Jim

Posted: 07-10-2006 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Paul Prinsen

Wow, that is all there is to it?! Basically sawhorses with a steel bracket and pipe. Without engine and driveline, there is not much weight.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: 07-11-2006 04:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I have it- please let me send it to you so I can get it out of my garage! You only need to spring for shipping, about $12. Keep it as long as you need it, or longer. Email me at greg@jhps.com

Posted: 07-12-2006 04:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Dan Eiland

I borrowed Greg's rotisserie and made a copy so I could return his. Since then I improved on the idea by modifying two engine stands to hold the mounts I copied from Greg's. I can lower and raise the car while it is on the rotisserie as well as rotate the car 360 degrees and lock it in place at about 10 angles. Just last week I built an adapter so I can now use mine on either the old style steel bumper cars or the newer style rubber bumper cars. I have attached some photos.

Attachment: Slide1.JPG (Downloaded 151 times)

Posted: 07-12-2006 04:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Dan Eiland

Second slide.

Attachment: Slide2.JPG (Downloaded 125 times)

PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dan Eiland

Slide3.

Attachment: Slide3.JPG (Downloaded 110 times)

PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Dan Eiland

Slide4.

Attachment: Slide4.JPG (Downloaded 103 times)

Posted: 07-12-2006 04:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Dan Eiland

Slide 5, Last one.

Attachment: Slide5.JPG (Downloaded 111 times)

Posted: 07-12-2006 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Dan Eiland

I haven't even taken a photo of the adapter for the rubber bumper style mounts. Sorry, I'll try to do that this weekend and post it here if Greg Doesn't mind.

I wish I could remember who built the one Greg has so I could give him a big thank you for sharing it with the club. It has been a life saver for me with the amount of work I have done on my car.

Posted: 07-12-2006 05:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Thanks for posting that, Dan, a nice job on that. Perhaps a good parking idea as well? Two sideways JH's can be in the space of one flat one!

Posted: 07-12-2006 09:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Paul Prinsen

Greg, thanks for your offer to send the rottiserie. Looks like I am all set at this point. I found some scrap metal parts, and bought threaded 1 1/4"pipe and flanges with which I put it all together. Am in the process of dropping both axels after which I will be ready for the "roast".

Posted: 06-06-2007 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Joel

Is the BBQ helper still available for loan?  I might be jumping into my project sooner than anticipated!  I have found a space to work and a buddy to help.  It doesn't get much better than that!

I probably don't have much work to do on the bottom but I plan to drop the entire drive train and suspension so I might want to 'rotate' the car to just clean off the bottom and maybe throw a little paint down there while everything is off. 

I'm just checking to see if it's still out there - and available.

Posted: 06-07-2007 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

It's been a while since I've seen it. Someone has it, but I don't remember who.

Posted: 01-11-2008 07:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
mdutch

If you find it, we'd like to borrow it in Dallas, at the very least to replicate it and have a second to be "in circulation".   David M. Harrell and I have two frame-off jobs we want to do, so having a set we could use would be primo.

Let me know if it turns up.

Posted: 01-11-2008 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
colinw59

When I restored #15851 I did so without a rotisserie, hard work! When I started planning the work on a 1974 MGB Roadster I decided that media blasting, most of the bodywork, undercoating, painting and some reasembly was best done on a rotisserie. I just loaded up to the JHPS Gallery pics of the rotisserie that I made from two modified engine stands (original parts are in orange) that are tied together by two long rectangular steel tubes.  I had to fabricate adaptor plates to suit the MGB, as you would with any car. One note from the wise, if you make a rotisserie be sure that you either know where the center of gravity is or, as I did, make it adjustable. If you get it wrong you will have a lot of trouble rotating the shell. The total cost for this was $420 excluding the rectangular tube which I already had.

When I'm done I can still use either end of the rotisserie as an engine stand and adapt it later for another type of car. The engine stands, unmodified, are rated at 1200lb each. Modified they are probably several hundred lb stronger. The MGB body shell weighs just 600lb, so I'm well within any safety limits. The car spins nicely and so far has saved hours of work, has made this work so much easier and will result in a better more thorough job. Both for myself and the media blaster.  Good luck, Colin

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851/11_10_2007_01

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851/12_08_2007_02

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851/12_08_2007_01

Last edited on 01-11-2008 07:49 pm by colinw59

Posted: 01-11-2008 11:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Art DeKneef

Mine is very similiar to what you have Colin. I had a lot of tubing here and only needed to buy a few pieces. A couple of wooden 2x2's hold mine together. Works so well even the grandkids can turn the car. It made cleaning the bottom of the car a breeze. Well, all things considered. Body is fully stripped and under going updates.

It was a good way to brush up on the welding skills before doing any of the bodywork and modifications.

The nice thing about these is that it makes moving the car around easy. From what I remember about the club loaner is a picture someone had with it mounted on a couple of wooden sawhorses. I don't know if I still have the picture but I'll take a look.

Of course I'm jealous of Colin's workspace. I only have a two-car garage.

Art

Posted: 01-12-2008 04:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
mdutch

Thanks all.  I'm going with the two-stand approach.

Posted: 02-01-2008 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
mdutch

David Harrel and I have been working on one using two of the mid-sized Harbor Freight stands and a mostly-bolt-up design using stock square steel.  Because it's a metric steel stand it fits nicely inside standard US tubular.

Here it is so far....
http://www.cell15design.com/jensen/Rotisserie/

Notes:  We used the rear "axle" for the front stablizer, added a longer rear axle, cut the vertical tube and added a "collar" that can be drilled for height to fit just about any sport-sized unibody.  The vertical member was canted back to handle the weight of an engine block, so we offset the holes to true up the vertical member and make it plumb to the ground.

Oh, it also came with two fixed steel wheels and two pivoting casters.  We're keeping the two casters on each stand and adding two locking casters (ditching the wheels which would limit travel of the unit.)

Total cost of the two stands was about $85, steel ran about $50, and by the time we're done, more steel bolts and casters probably another $40.  So well under $200 and we've got a full service rotisserie for his JH (and later mine!)

Who knows, maybe other regional Texas JH owners! 
(see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TexasJensens)

Current time is 12:23 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Rottiserie Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems