Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Flywheel weight ?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-31-2005 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JASPER

I was wondering if anyone knows the weight (exact if possible) of a stock Jensen Healey Flywheel ?

I have balanced and lightened flywheel and I'm trying to figure out how much metal has been removed durring the lightening process.

Cheers all -

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-31-2005 11:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Earp

Anyone make an aluminum flywheel?

Posted: 03-31-2005 11:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Tim Murphy

I just took a 73 JH flywheel into the Post Office and measured it on their electronic postal scale. I got 20 lb., 13.6 oz. Subtract about .5 oz for wrapping paper and plastic bag. The ring teeth have one spot (about 3 linear inches) where the gear teeth are slightly worn from the starter not engaging and just spinning against the teeth. How you will account for that I don’t know.

So what is the weight of your lightened flywheel?

Posted: 03-31-2005 11:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ron Earp

I've got one at work that is stock and intact. I can weigh it tomorrow.

Ron

Posted: 03-31-2005 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

A ran a Tilton aluminum flywheel on my previous JH that was a feathery 7 pounds. The Tiltons, sadly, are long gone but there is some other stuff floating around out there. I don't recommend it for a street car, BTW, the novely will wear off in a few months and you'll starting noticing how touchy it is.

Posted: 03-31-2005 11:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ron Earp

For me that is no problem, mine is a race car only so the weight difference would be much apprecated, in fact, it is a huge deal.  I might inquire about having some made.

Ron

Posted: 04-01-2005 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Scott Robinson

A company named Fidanza used to make aluminum flywheels for Lotus Espirits that would be suitable for our cars, but I don't think they have inventoried them for quite a while. They would have the drawings, though so it maight be cheaper to order through them versus a pure custom.

In my experience it can be tough to get a machine shop to shave the stock wheel due to liability concerns. Most aren't interested, and those that will consider it want you to provide detailed drawings.

I sure wouldn't mind if my car would build revs faster and a lighter flywheel would help quite a bit. About halfway between the stock and a 7lb. Tilton would be very interesting to me. Let us know if you find something.

Posted: 04-01-2005 01:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JASPER

I had my Flywheel lightened and balanced by a proffesional machine shop in Los Angelas (San Fernando Valley) called 'The Balance Shop'

$80 to lighten and $20 to balance after the lightening -

They told me that they managed to take about 4lbs of metal off the thing - any more than that and they felt that it would loose structral integrity - and some other comments about crappy english steel quality that comes off in big chunks when you try to shave and lighten .......

If I started out at 21lbs approx that means I now have a 17lb flywheel - not sure who that translates in an increase in acceleration but I guess every bit helps -

I had planned on installing it on my 2.2L once built - but all my 2.2L parts are on Ebay right now so that ain't gonna happen - at least for a while ....

Once I dig it out of the garage - you'll be seeing it on ebay with all my other parts up for sale at the moment ... I'll also weigh it and get the exact specs-

cheers

James

Posted: 04-01-2005 02:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Fidanza's latest (2004) online catalog lists an aluminum flywheel for the 1980-1990 2.2liter NT (non-turbo?) Lotus "Espirit" (sic), so it's possible these are still in production, or they might have a few in stock.  It's their P/N 122661, which weighs 8.5 pounds.  Possibly you might need to use their friction plate too, which is their P/N 229001.

According to some place called nolimitmotorsport.com the list price of the flywheel is $459, but they'll sell it to you for a mere $400.

Usual disclaimers, and I've never done business with either firm.

UPDATE: Fidanza, above, was originally entered as Firenza, due to a short-term memory failure on the part of the writer (me).  Sorry!

Last edited on 04-01-2005 02:05 pm by Mark Rosenbaum

Posted: 04-01-2005 12:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Ron Earp

Mark, got any contact info for those folks? $400 ain't cheap, but it'll cost me that to have one made.  A light flywheel for me in the lightest SCCA car in the class could helpa lot.  Hell, the SB Fords I build have 25lb flywheels and we get those down to 16-17 and they rev like you wouldn't believe.  A stock JH flywheel, is, even for the street, too heavy.  I'd think around 20lbs and maybe a little lighter ideal for street use. But that 8lb thing, I could use that!!!!

Ron

Posted: 04-01-2005 12:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Brian Kelly

Paeco also offers al. flywheels.  Fom their website it sounds like they have "blanks" which are then custom drilled for the application.  they offer both street and racing versions.  They are quite proud of them at $450-$520 ea. though.

http://www.paeco.com/fly1.html

Posted: 04-01-2005 04:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

None of this stuff is cheap. The Tilton flywheel was $475 back in the early 90's. Conversion Components in New Zealand also has something for the 907, but with the weak dollar the cost is closer to $700 now. I'd be more concerned about good quality than price in any event.

Posted: 04-01-2005 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Ron Earp

I just weighed my stock flywheel from a 907, no pressure plate etc., and it weighed in at 20.4 lbs.  It has the ring gear attached to it. 

Posted: 04-02-2005 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
JASPER

Well I finally found my lightened/balanced flywheel -

It weighs in at exactly 16lbs - 25% lighter than stock ! pretty cool !

Looks awsome !! You'll find it for sale on Ebay as I listed it this morning -

thanx and cheers all. James

Posted: 09-24-2010 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
timeforwalkies

So I just got hold of a lightened and balance flywheel.  I plan to install it during the winter.
I have noticed a couple of mentions regarding grease on the bolts I assume for torquing reasons.  But I have no idea the correct torque.
I was also wondering if there is a procedure for removal and installation available.  I did the clutch once and it was a pain, so any help in this area would be appreciated.
I will also weigh this unit and report back.
Thanks

Last edited on 10-25-2010 12:03 am by timeforwalkies

Posted: 10-01-2010 03:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
pbahr

Y'all know, of course, that the really light flywheels will make for a rough idle engine.

Great for racing though....

YELODOG

Posted: 10-01-2010 01:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
subwoofer

There are lightweight - reeeally lightweight - flywheels available from QED Motorsport in England. Not all that expensive, but has to be mated to a 7 1/4" racing clutch, so starting at the lights could be a bit of a challenge.

http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/lotus-907-/-910-/-911-/-912/flywheel-and-clutch

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-03-2010 03:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
timeforwalkies

With the full upgrade to a 2.2 is it necessary to change the pressure plate and or clutch to deal with the additional power and torque?  I have noticed that I am getting a bit of clutch slipping when shifting under full power.  Not sure if this is due to weak pressure, adjustment, or oil leaking onto the flywheel from who knows where.
Still need info about torquing the flywheel when I install the new lightened unit.
Thanks again

Posted: 10-04-2010 04:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
pbahr

I have a higher pressure plate and a racing disk - no problems.

If your clutch has oil on it, I would suspect that there would be grabbing and shudder rather than slipping, but I've never had that problem, so I can't be certain.

Flywheel securing bolt torque should be 48 lb-ft per Workshop Manual.

Workshop Manual is a good thing - you should get one.

Pete

Posted: 10-04-2010 05:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
timeforwalkies

This is a lightened stock flywheel.  Probably in the 16 pound range.  I'll get back on that when I get it.

Getting back.  Just weighed it and it is between 14 and 15 pounds.  Don't have an ounce scale, so that will have to do.

If you don't mind.  Where did you get the pressure plate and disk?

Thanks for the torque information.  Is this dry, or with lube?  Any tips on removal and install?

Just watched a great TV show called "Horsepower TV"  Usually about V8s, modifications and producst.  But on this particular show they talked about the difference in lubricants that can be used for torquing and why.  Good stuff.  Motor oil, and molly lub,  will not give the desired result if a lubricant is required.  While you might reach the desired torque, you may not have reached the correct clamping force or "stretch" as they call it.  They recommend a product called "ARP Ultra Torque Lube"  Reaches the correct torque and clamping force at the same time.  A bit hard to explain.

Either way, I recommend this show.

Last edited on 01-10-2011 05:19 pm by timeforwalkies

Current time is 01:55 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Flywheel weight ? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems