Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Interior Heat Barriers  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-21-2006 11:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
73healey

I have heard a lot of good things regarding Dynamat and Dynaliner. Is it necessary to use Dynamat under Dynaliner if I am more concerned about reducing the heat in the driving area. The site recommends using the Dynaliner on top of Dynamat.

Has anyone just used the Dynaliner? Any suggestions??

Thanks

Jim 10646

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-22-2006 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I think Dynamat and Dynaliner are acoustic barriers and not designed to be a thermal barrior. A better thermal barrier would be foil/foam/foil or foil/bubble/foil/bubble/foil.

http://www.insulation4less.com/highr_FfmF.asp

To reduce the heat soak of the firewall and floorpan a foil covered insulation could be applied to the engine side.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TAY%2D2544&N=400235+4294845359+115&autoview=sku

Kurt

Posted: 06-22-2006 04:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Dyna Shield is nice for small areas. I tried Extremeliner, yet more Dynamat product (try spreadable Dyna-Cheese as a tasty snack with crackers.) on the inside firewall area, but not sure if I would bother doing that again. It's rather bulky (4 part composite with lead barrier!), heavy and expensive. I think the DynamatExtreme provides some basic thermal resistance that's enough for I need it for.

Posted: 06-22-2006 05:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Yes, anything is a lot better than nothing. I've used insolite camping pads under the carpet because that's what was in the garage! They are light and insulate well.

Kurt

DynaCheese Whiz?

Posted: 06-22-2006 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
John Finch

I used a 1/4" wool type insulator backed with foil on one side. Easy to cut and fit. Basically its a water heater type wrap. About $35.00 was enought to do the entire interior and part of the trunk. Can't remember the name of it but I bought it from

Pals Hot Rod Parts
14913 92nd Circle NE
Otsego, MN, 55330
763-241-1601

Give them a call to find the mfg name, do a web search for their site and find a local dealer to see first hand if you think it might be ok for you. I am pleased with the results so far. I used spray adhesive to get it to stay put in vertical and other difficult areas and foil tape to seal seams where necessary.

Never drove the car prior to installing so have nothing to compare to but its gotta help.

John

Last edited on 06-22-2006 07:34 pm by John Finch

Posted: 06-22-2006 10:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
73healey

Thanks to all for your help.

Kurt, have you tried the material from the "insulation4less" site? In particular the Prodex which is the foil-foam-foil material. It looks promising.

DynaCheese!!!! - I smell a rat.

Jim 10646

Posted: 07-27-2006 05:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Dana McPeek

Though not specifically designed to heat insulation, Dynamat and it's clones do an exceptional job of insulating heat, within limits.  I remember seeing stats that siad it was good to 250 degres F.

I now have a MiniTemp and will try to get some actual field results.  Will post here, but I am sure that you will be impressed with the sound insulation alone.  I swear by the stuff!

Dana

Current time is 02:53 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Interior Heat Barriers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems