Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tensioner Bearings  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-17-2006 01:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
skoska

I am new to the list having purchased my 1973 JH about 3 weeks ago from someone in New Hampshire. It was running well until about 10 days ago when I was coming home from work and heard some noise in the engine bay. I made it home and worked at trying to diagnose the problem. After starting it again several times, I could see that the tensioner bearings were the problem, i.e., several fried. I ordered new belts and bearings from Delta and got them this week. Now when I try to turn the engine by hand, the pulleys will not turn. I am trying to follow the directions in one of the JHPS archives about changing the tensioner bearings and need to get to TDC. So where do I start with this problem of not being able to even turn the pulleys?

Steve Koska
Rock Hill, SC
J-H #11475

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-17-2006 04:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

To cause the cam pulleys to rotate, one must rotate the engine's crankshaft.  This is accomplished by applying torque to the nut on the forward end of the crankshaft using a socket and handle.  For best results, rotate the crankshaft clockwise only as viewed from the front of the car.

When the timing index on the crank pulley aligns with the timing mark on the engine front cover, and the index lines on the two cam gears align, the engine's #1 (forward) cylinder is at top dead center (TDC).  This is the reference point for all engine timing measurements.

If the timing belt tensioner is frozen, the adjuster should be loosened if possible.  The timing belt then should slide over its surface though some force might be required at the nut on the crankshaft.  If the timing belt breaks during the process (very unlikely), instantly stop trying to turn the crank; remove and repair the tensioner, install a new belt, then re-time the cam gears.  This can get tedious, but if done properly, the engine won't be harmed.

Attachment: 510 Cam Gear early.gif (Downloaded 47 times)

Posted: 06-17-2006 12:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
skoska

I have located the mark on the crank but where is the engine mark? I also see the timing marks. I have turned the crank and the belt has slipped so the intake and exhaust pulley marks will not line up. Still need help to get me start[url=javascript: document.editor_form.message.value = document.getElementById('text_editor').contentWindow.document.body.innerHTML.replace(re_rn, ' '); document.editor_form.post_reply.value=1; document.editor_form.submit();]Send[/url]ed.

Steve

Posted: 06-17-2006 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

Steve,

What have you done to my engine!

Sounds like we're having a repeat of what happened 2 years ago.  You need me to run up there again and help you get this cleared up?

Judson Manning

770-595-7896

Posted: 06-18-2006 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
skoska

Judson, I sold the 1974 to a guy in Charlotte 2 years ago but soon thereafter, I missed it and started looking again this year. I found a red one in New Hampshire that is in very good condition except for this tensioner bearing need. I thought that I would try to replace this myself and maybe if I can call you, you can get me started. My email is koska@comporium.net.

Steve Koska

Posted: 06-19-2006 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Judson Manning

Steve,

I hope 'Jetsun' went to a good home, it was a great CA car and I am glad that used engine found a place.  Is the new owner a JHPS member?  I like to keep up with "MY" engines!

I'm also glad to see you decided to get back into JHs, too bad this one is giving you some challenges.  You might want to give Ron Earp or Brian an email, they are both close and may be able to stop by and give you a hand.

Judson

Current time is 08:28 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Tensioner Bearings Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems