Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
cam cover gaskets  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-08-2006 01:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
andrewo

Okay. I took everyone's advice and bought new everything. The bolts, the washers, the tap, and the orange gaskets. The exhaust side still leaks from around the back lowest bolt. I realize that I probably have to take the whole thing apart again, but how do I clean the gasket itself? Any hints to get that bolt torqued right, since there is no way to get a torque wrench in there?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-08-2006 02:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Finch

Man do I relate you your story. Mine is doing the exact same thing. Lets loose a drop of oil onto the steering knuckle and manifold infrequently but its still there and stinky when it does. Only spot it leaks. I've used an inch pound torque wrench back there but it would help to be related to gumby to get it done. I'll read reply posts with interest. John

Posted: 06-08-2006 02:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I tighten mine with a box end wrench and dead reckoning, probably closer to 10 ft/lbs. Four ft/lbs always seemed really stupid to me. I use the Delta rubber gaskets installed dry. They are thinner than the red ones from the club store.

Kurt

Posted: 06-22-2006 08:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jon Plowe

My method, for what it's worth, is to use to cut a gasket out of a thin cork/rubber mix sheet (2mm?) using an original as a template. As everybody says it has to be spotlessly clean (unlike your exhaust and garage floor!), empty all the oil out on the cam carrier, better still do it when the engine is out of the car. I stick the gasket onto the carrier with a bit of silicone type sealant bolting the cover to hold lightly it in place, leave overnight. Then apply a bit of sealant to the cam cover and bolt it back on to a guessed 5-10lbs torque, leave overnight. Perhaps tweak it a little more in the morning.  As the gasket is effectively stuck to both halves it never squeezes out - unless the cam covers are overtightened excessively. For the money cork gasket material will give many many more gaskets than off the shelf ones and you don't have to wait for the post. Obviously not reusable

A very daft idea strangely at odds with the rest of the brilliant design of the engine 

Jon

Posted: 06-23-2006 11:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

John, I did the gasket job and ended up getting the occasional drip that you describe, what I found was the bolt sealing washer was not working all that well, and you guessed it, allowing it to drip, bought a bag of the washers from McMaster-Carr, and it's been dry as a bone since.

Brett.  

Current time is 05:40 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > cam cover gaskets Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems