Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Engine stalls when it gets hot

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Engine stalls when it gets hot  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-04-2006 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jay T

This has happened twice now.  In each case the temperature guage showed the temperature well within operating range.  The second time was a couple of days ago.  The temperature (out doors) was between 95 & 100.  As I mentioned above, it acted like it was running out of gas.  After sitting for a couple of hours, it started and ran just fine.

Any ideas?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-05-2006 12:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Does "When it gets hot" simply mean "after it's been run long enough to reach operating temp"?

In either case:  It's either spark or gas.

If spark, then you've got to find a loose wire.

If gas, then you've got to find where gas is getting restricted.  Number one for me over the years has been the fuel pump.  When the engine stalls, do you hear the pump ticking away?  If not, tap it with a hammer, it could be loose/old contacts.  If not the pump, look for junk in the carbs, lines, etc. restricting flow.

Posted: 06-05-2006 02:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Thomas Thomson

Jay T

If the problem truly is temperature related, it may be the coil.  Or perhaps temp has nothing to do with it and it is a matter of run time.  If the fuel filter is clogged the engine will start and run just fine until the gas in the bowls is gone.  Then while the car is sitting, enough gas will trickle through the filter to repeat the start & run game.  This can be a fooler because anything you do -allow it to cool, slam the door, curse, etc will appear to cure the problem.  The car is just messing with you. 

Tom  13753     

Posted: 06-06-2006 06:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jay T

Judson,

The car is able to run for long periods of time.  This problem has only happened twice since I've been driving it.  Although, I've only put about 4oo miles on it.  In general, I think it's running pretty good.  The first time, I was driving very slowly (i.e. walking speed) around the pit area of Buttonwillow Raceway (near Bakersfield, CA) checking out all the cool old British race cars.  It was a warm/hot day and after idling around for 5-10 minutes, the engine began to lose power, then eventually die.  That was a month ago.  Last time it happened, I did hear the fuel pump running and I could see fuel in the filter, since I'm using a clear glass fuel filter.  A few hours later, I drove the car home (from work), roughly 45 minutes and I didn't have a problem.  The temperature was still probably in the 80's.

If there's a fuel problem, it's probably in the carbs.

Posted: 06-06-2006 06:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jay T

Tom,

You may be onto something regarding the coil.  As I mentioned above (in the last reply), if it's a fuel problem, it would have to be in the carbs.

Posted: 06-06-2006 01:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Judson Manning

Good that the fuel pump is working, but unless you think the carbs could use a good 'once-over', I don't think the problem is there. 

That leaves ignition and an old coil could be the culprit as could a simple loose wire.  You could look for something obvious and replace all of the typical items (plugs, wires, rotor, cap and coil).  Beyond that, tracing down all the wires (including the seat-belt interlock) could prove difficult and time consuming.

Carry an extra spark-plug with you.  Next time it happens, pull off #1 wire and lay the attached spare plug on the intake manifold.  Have someone crank the car and see if you have spark.

Posted: 06-08-2006 04:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jay T

Thanks Judson, I try the spark plug trick and (just out of curiousity) I'll carry a spare coil.  I'd like to know for sure what the problem is, if possible.

Current time is 08:52 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Engine stalls when it gets hot Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems