Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Lotus Excel cams / housings

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lotus Excel cams / housings  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-02-2006 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Tim Orme

Hi, wondering if anyone can advise. New to the message board so if the topic's been covered before, forgive me !

I have a set of Lotus Excel SE cams / housings (107/104 combination), I'm intending to fit them to my standard U.K. spec 907 engine and move to an HTD belt / vernier pulley set. Will these cams be worth using in my engine or should I put my standard cams into the Excel housings. What cam timing figures should I use. Any advice appreciated

Tim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-02-2006 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

The 107/104 combo with vernier pulleys is a very cool setup. There are a number of great posts on the board, try the search feature and see what comes up.

You'll be looking for a 104 MOP to really take advantage of what the cams can offer and needless to say a 2.2 would provide the best basis for that. Some among us would say you simply must have the 2.2, but I think the standard 2 liter can still offer enough to make your switch well worth the effort.

Posted: 06-03-2006 07:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Tim Orme

Thanks for the advice Greg, funds won't stretch to a 2.2 conversion at the moment but it's something that I will be considering in the future.

Posted: 06-03-2006 02:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The 104 cam will cause binding of the stock valve springs. You will need to either change the springs to the performance version or use a milder cam.

I have been taking baby steps with performance upgrades. I have a pair of 107 cams but I know that installing them and getting them shimmed could have the car down for weeks. Most of the time is spent waiting for shims. I also have not purchased any 104 pulleys but have a set of 102's from a later JH.

Then there's the re-tuning of the Dellortos....

Call me lazy,

Kurt

JH 13148

Posted: 06-03-2006 04:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Tim Orme

Thanks Kurt, that's something I hadn't considered ! So it's head off as well then (just changed the head gasket - typical) Wanted to use the later cam housing to eliminate the oil leaks once and for all - can't seem to make the re-useable gaskets seal properly and each time you want to check the valve clearances, it's oil over the manifold (sorry - headers)  time !

Posted: 06-04-2006 01:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

It would be cheaper to use two 107 cams and skip the cost of new springs, head gasket, exhaust gaskets, and intake gasket. 

Just a note on valve adjustment, shoot for the high side on the clearance. The clearances only get tighter and it should stay within tolerance longer.

Kurt

Posted: 06-04-2006 01:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
LambandAndy

I have removed valve springs on other engines by making an adapter to screw into a spark plug hole and applying compressed air to keep the valve in place while using an "overhead" style valve spring compressor to remove the collets.

Never tried it on a Lotus motor but it should work.

Andy

Current time is 07:02 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Lotus Excel cams / housings Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems