Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Insulation  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-01-2006 04:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul Koehler

After driving for several hours in 85* weather on Sunday, and experiencing that "warm-fuzzy" feeling from the transmission tunnel, I thought to myself, "I gotta insulate this puppy".

Has anyone done before and after measurements, on the effectiveness of the insulation, in reducing cockpit temps? A subjective assessment will also do!

PK

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-01-2006 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I found that most of the heat comes up around the gear shift. I attached an inner boot made from plastic sheeting and packed fiberglass insulation around the shifter before installing the leather boot. Problem solved.

Kurt

Posted: 06-02-2006 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
colinw59

From the factory there is only open air (hot air) between the shifter aperture in the transmission tunnel and the leather shifter boot. It seemed to be bad engineering to me. So I cut a piece of 1" thick foam, oversize by 1" in both directions, and then cut a 1/2" deep slit/undercut around the perimeter. The foam was eased into place and retained by the sheet metal around the aperture seating into the slit/undercut. I also used sound deadening material over the tunnel and other areas of the cockpit. Heat soak is very minumal even over the 85 deg. weather we had last weekend, and the car runs quietly.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851

Current time is 10:29 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Insulation Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems