Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
cam cover gaskets  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-30-2006 11:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
andrewo

I just want these things to seal once and for all so that I can drive my car. I realize that it is inelegant and frowned upon, but has anyone used either product, and can you make a recommendation?

A mechanic I know that actually owned a couple of early Esprits liked The Right Stuff, but that is only one data point.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-31-2006 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mitch Ware

I bought the re-usable gaskets from the club store, followed the directions to the letter. 8k miles and a valve adjustment later, not a single drop of oil has leaked out of the cam covers.

Mitch Ware

Posted: 05-31-2006 03:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The rubber gaskets installed dry work for me. I block sanded the surfaces for a smoother mating surface.

Has anyone been on the mail list following Sherman T's gasket failure after using RTV? It's not very humorous.

Clean the surfaces with acetone. They must be absolutely clean. All oil in the exhaust cam carrier must be removed to prevent contamination. Any oil or gasket sealer on the surface will cause the gasket to creep out of position and will never last through the many heating and cooling cycles.

Most cam cover bolts have been over-torqued causing distortion and widening of the lower edges of the cover. You may never get a seal using the 4 ft/lb spec. I torqued the bolts by feel, probably about 10 to 15 ft/lbs. Whatever works!

Good Luck!

Posted: 05-31-2006 03:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

It's very true you really need to follow the instructions Greg just posted in the Standard.

When I first installed mine I had no trouble at all, even though I used "Dave Beans" reusable gaskets, after I did a valve clearance check, I must have over torqued them, because once out on the road and the engine block heated up, it squeezed out a portion of one, what a mess.

So now I'm back to the Delta ones with proper torque and all seem well.

It can be done, good luck 

Posted: 06-01-2006 02:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

So you use the thick oil method to install yours Brett?

Hey Mitch, just what were those instructions? I never got any instructions with the Delta rubber gaskets or with my new red rubber gaskets.

I got the dry method here http://gglotus.org/ggtech/esprit-camcvr-seal/espritcccs.htm

Kurt

Posted: 06-01-2006 03:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

First off, I use a small hand vac pump and get as much oil out of the recess's, wipe all the contact surfaces with laquor thinner, blow out the threaded bolt holes, run a tap down them to make sure they are clean, put a bit of grease along the top edge of the cam tower to help hold the gasket's inplace, then attempt to place the cover on without moving the gasket, start torque'ing it down and at the same time make sure I have a uniform amount of gasket showing all around, Simple.

Then if it leaks do it all over again, No just kidding, this usaully works well for me.

I did have a thought though, if it's possible to use stud's in some of the bolt holes, that would hold the gasket's and then place the cover down over the studs, that would keep every thing ligned up correctly, it may work on the upper cover, but I dont think there is room with the brake booster to do this on the lower, just an idea, have'nt tried it myself.

Brett.

Posted: 06-01-2006 03:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jcdean

The confusing part seems to be that in both methods you take meticulous care to ensure cleanliness.  After that the installs go in opposite directions.

In one you make certain that everything is bone dry and stays that way with the warning that any lubrication is an assurance of imminent disaster. The second method requires an extremely heavy lubricant, or as just mentioned, grease to provide the proper stiction to let the gasket gently flow into place.

I can buy into either method, as I can see the merits of either one.  Maybe we need to take a mini census to find out who has done what and the end results.

Joey

Posted: 06-01-2006 07:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Mitch Ware

I don't still have the instructions after 2+ years. I used the dry method though. I do remember that it was very important to make sure that there were no burrs on any edges, make sure everything was clean, and make sure you have even amounts of gasket sticking out as you tighten.

Mitch Ware

Current time is 09:30 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > cam cover gaskets Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems