Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
fan pulley  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-29-2006 12:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Don McKeever

I just started her up and noticed the fan and pulley moves a little in all directions. Is this normal or do I have a bigger problems? How is the fan and pully mounted? Any help would be great so the old girl can get out on the road. Very short summers in northern minnesota.

Thanks,

Don

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-29-2006 02:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Finch

Dan, where in Northern MN? I am in Brooklyn Park. (cities). John

Posted: 05-29-2006 02:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
John Finch

Dan 18309 has a Lucas 18ACR alternator. There is a nut holding the pulley and fan on. I've never had the nut off so not sure what happens or is required after removing the nut. Best of luck and let me know where you are at. We might be able to cross paths. John

Posted: 05-29-2006 03:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Don McKeever

John, I live in a little town called Schroeder on the north shore of lake superior.

If you come up the shore stop in.

Don

Posted: 05-29-2006 04:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
John Finch

Don, I used to call on the old LTV power plant. I do work with MP&L Boswell and hope to do work with both Tac Harbor and Laskin in the future. We'll keep in touch as it would be a great drive up to see you sometime. John

Posted: 05-29-2006 10:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The fan and fan pulley bolt to the flange on the front of the water pump.  When the hardware holding them in place is tight, the only motion should be rotation.  If the pulley is loose, most likely the water pump is in need of replacement.  If the pulley seems tight but the fan seems loose, most likely the metal bushings in the hub have come loose.

Attached is a line drawing showing an exploded water pump, fan pulley, fan, and various other parts in the area.

Attachment: 544 Front Cover late.gif (Downloaded 37 times)

Posted: 05-30-2006 04:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Don McKeever

Thanks again Mark it looks like a water pump is in my near future. Any tricks or other things i should do when under the hood?

Don

Posted: 05-30-2006 05:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Don,
It's always prudent to check (and, usually, change) the thermostat when you have had a cooling system problem.  The JH thermostat is a dual acting type and using the wrong type guarantees overheating.  If the old one turns out to have been good, keep it for a spare in case the replacement fails.

Under normal conditions, the various coolant-carrying hoses have a four to eight year lifespan.  Typical end of life indications are flex cracks near the ends, and/or seepage of coolant from the fabric that separates the inner and outer rubber layers.  If you don't know how old your hoses are, it's prudent to budget for their replacement.

As for other things to look out for, the shop manual has a very long list of maintenance items that should be performed regularly.  Going through the entire list is a good way to end up with a (nearly) trouble-free vehicle, though often at some expense.  However, one may have to deal with the end result of decades of deferred maintenance, and with the fact that sometimes a repair in one area exposes previously unsuspected problems in others.

Current time is 10:11 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > fan pulley Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems