Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Ty Hisatomi

While adjusting the tension on my fan belt, I noticed that waterpump/fanbelt pulley is approxiomately 1/2 inch off track with the generator pulley and crankshaft pulley.  The water pump pulley and belt is 1/2 inch closer to the radiator than the other two pulleys.  Aside from possible additional wear on the belt, the engine appears to run fine.  After removing the radiator to get to the four bolts to pulley on the water pump I noticed that hub on the shaft has not been pressed far enough on the shaft.  The manual calls for a 3.875 distance from the hub to the impellor.  With the hub not pressed on the shaft as normal, the distance I show is over 4 inches. The water pump appears to be tight and functioning.  Question:  does the entire water pump need to be removed to press the hub further down the shaft.  Is this repairable with the correct tools/press or is one better off biting the bullet and purchasing a new water pump? 

My buddy gave this Jenson to me and it runs great.  I believe this belt condition has existed for a while and not sure it an issue I should address soon.  Any advice out there?

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Since no one else has jumped in... I think you better fix this fairly soon. You may want to purchase the new parts prior to dismantling the pump so you can get the car back on the road the same day. Many cars have died from sitting too long during a supposedly simple repair.

Kurt

Jim Ketcham

Hello Ty,

Sounds like a PO did not press the bearing in all the way to spec.  during an overhaul.  You really should not try to press while it is installed.  Even with the pump out one has to be very careful pressing in the bearing and backing up the casting so as not to crack the casing. 

Jim 

Mark Rosenbaum

If you're really lucky, someone put the wrong pulley on the water pump and repair would merely involve installing the correct part.  More likely, though, the flange (hub) to which the water pump pulley bolts was not installed properly.

To allow the situation to continue will place excess stress the water pump, which will eventually fail.  For any other cause other than an incorrect pulley, repair requires removal of the water pump.

Fixing things before the pump fails is inexpensive -- some labor, access to a press, and the price of a gasket.  Repair after a pump failure is far more costly -- a rebuilt water pump is close to $200 nowadays if you have a good core, or maybe $550 if you don't.  And if the engine should seriously overheat as a result of a water pump failure, you could be in need of a full overhaul.

Attached for reference is a photo showing a pulley of the correct type.

Attachment: pulley view.jpg (Downloaded 50 times)

Mitch Ware

As an aside to the link of the illustration that Mark put up, A while ago I scanned in some of the parts list manaul and put it up on my site at http://www2.kjware.net:8079/mitch/partslist.htm. Someone had it up on a website previously, but it has been a dead link for a while. If I get around to it this summer, I'll try to get more of it scanned in and posted.

Mitch Ware

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems