Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
2.2 converson  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-24-2006 03:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jcdean

Is there a parts list floating around for rods and pistons for the 2.2 conversion?  A board search came up blank.

Joey

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-24-2006 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

There's a bunch of part numbers for a bunch of parts and those vary by who's selling them. You question is somewhat vague since you didn't supply any information on what it is you're looking for.

Typically, for most folks thinking about upgrading to a 2.2 liter, an owner would be interested in a 2.2 piston (these have a revised wrist pin location for the stroker crank) at 0.030" oversized . You'd get your machine shop to bore your old liners, and then you would need to consider what brand and what compression you want. JE is big name and certainly you can't go wrong there, but the guy that designed the well known JE piston has branched off and formed his own piston company, CP Pistons and those are at least the quality of the JEs. Prices are pretty much the same everywhere. The manufacturers don't cut you any direct deals unless you purchase a few dozen at a time. There are no parts sitting on the self for our application by these manufacturers, all the JH/Lotus stuff is custom done per order as the resellers (or racers) order them.

On the rods, many people use the stock ones after a recondition and balance, they are very durable. Something like a light weight Carrillo rod increases the cool factor and rpm, but figure an additional $900 for a set.

Posted: 05-24-2006 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jcdean

Yep, it does read vague now.  At the time it was crystal clear.

You answered most of what I was asking, though.  I am just trying to get a handle on what else I will be spending on the conversion other than the crank and bearings from the Boutique.  Much easier for me to do my shopping over time for my winter projects instead of one big purchase.

As an aside, has anyone ever tried an offset grind on the crank?  It wouldn't give you much more displacement, but there would be some. 

Joey

Current time is 10:49 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 2.2 converson Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems