Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Spark Plugs / Heat Range  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-23-2006 12:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

As I'm getting ready to take my JH out, doing a little tune up, changing the cam belt etc; I thought I'd change the plugs at the same time, not having a plug out just yet I looked thru my info on what NGK plug I needed and found a post from Mark R. listing it as BP7ES, then I notice as I'm mucking about in the garage that I have a spare set of plugs that are BP6ES, so now I'm figuring for some reason I have a "lower heat range" plug, or maybe a "higher heat range" one, so let me get on the internet and see just whats - what, and thats were I bumped into this site

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/techtips.asp?nav=31000&country=US

Turns out a spark plug puts out the same temp, and it's how fast a heat sink the plug is that determines heat range, if it's slow to disapate heat then it's a "Hot" plug keeping the cylinder area "Hotter", and visa versa, if it disapates heat faster, it's a cooler plug, anyhow check this site out its pretty informative.

All this time I thought a hot plug just gave a bigger hotter spark, now I know they are just Heat Sink's, you'all probably knew this already so I apollogize if this comes as old news, but I thought it enlightning.

Thanks,       Brett. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-23-2006 10:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Actually that site provides a pretty decent overview.  It never hurts to review the basics -- people tend to forget details as time passes, and that can eventually lead to embarrassing mistakes.  (It's an act of kindness not to ask me how I know that!  :^} )

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 08:49 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Spark Plugs / Heat Range Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems