Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
JH VIN 17948 Restoration  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-29-2005 02:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jim Ketcham

VIN 17948 is back on the road after 2 decades.  It's restoration is almost complete (finishing touches still to be done) and now just needs to accumulate some break-in miles on its new 2.2l stroker engine.  I posted pics in the "Photo Gallery" under New York.  As always, the restoration took alot longer and cost more than I initially projected.

I initially picked this up in a junk yard in 2002 for parts and the engine.  After finding another parts car I decided to do the restoration.  As with my previous restoration, VIN 17691, the JHPS message board was a great help.  Thanks to all for sharing their vast knowledge and advice.

The 2.2 feels extremely "torquey", but I won't know what it can really do until the rest of our spring snow melts and I can complete some break-in miles.  The 2.2 was built with a JHPS "Bedford" crank, Lotus 107 cams and HTD sprockets, Dellorto DHLA 45 carbs jetted per JHPS recommedations, JE 9.5 pistons and Pertronix Ignitor.  I still have to install the MSD ignition and tach module.

Electrical wiring was somewhat of a challenge this time.  Almost all the electrical issues turned out to be ground and connector issues, as predicted by Mark Rosenbaum.  It was just that multiple bad connections resulted in some very strange symptoms which required a very methodical approach to trouble shooting.

I will post more as I discover what it can do and unearth new "challenges".

Jim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-29-2005 02:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Kimbrough

Car looks spectacular, Jim.  Question:  Where did those little louvers in the front bumper come from?  Never noticed them before.  Were they stock on the later models?  Do they help with the cooling???  Anyone ever louvered their bumpers on an earlier model to improve air flow?  John.

Posted: 03-29-2005 03:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jim Ketcham

Hello John,

What appears to be louvers are just indentations in the 5 mph bumper.  I believe they are on all the later 5 mph "rubber" bumpers.  You ask a good question about the possibility of modifying bumpers with vents.  I do not see how to do it easily with the rubber bumpers, but I can see it as a definite possibility with the older steel bumpers.

By the way, I failed to thank you in my first post.  Your extensive work documenting the JH electrical system helped me in trouble shooting my myriad of start-up problems. Thanks.

Jim

Posted: 03-30-2005 06:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
themagicalswitch

Hey Jim, How much do you love that steering wheel. I had never used any other wheel before I got my current project JH with the original wheel, what an awful feel the original has, and so big.

I had one exactly like yours, but black instead of chrome.

Attachment: jensendriverinterior.jpg (Downloaded 68 times)

Posted: 03-31-2005 11:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jim Ketcham

My parts car came with the wheel and I thought I would give it a try.  I am just getting the car registered today for the first time since restoring it so I haven't really driven with the new wheel.  I like the looks and anticipate that the feel will be good too.

Current time is 02:25 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > JH VIN 17948 Restoration Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems