Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > New exhaust - can't make it fit

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New exhaust - can't make it fit  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-06-2006 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
John Harriott

I bought the exhaust system from the JHPS warehouse and I can't see how it fits.  Can anyone describe the routing of the pipe over the rear axle - does it go over the trailing arm or under?

Thanks.

John

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-06-2006 11:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

See the thread on this site at
http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=47&forum_id=10

Posted: 05-07-2006 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ron Earp

Hi John,

I don't know about the muffler kit supplied by the JHPS or Delta, but you might have better luck just using a competent muffler shop to do a manderal bent system for you. I did my own from 2.5" pipe, and use a 45 degree turn down just before the rear axle thus cutting down on the pipe used, bends, weight, and more importantly, back pressure. The under car exit is loud, but I am using an essentially open muffler.  It could be quiet with a nice size muffler a muffler shop could put on for you.

R

Posted: 05-07-2006 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
John Harriott

Thanks for the info.  I finally got everything loose-fit.  It was more of a wrestling match than I anticipated.  There is not much clearance.  I noticed that the pipe going over the rear axle is almost touching the frame underneath -  is this a problem?

John

Posted: 05-07-2006 04:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The exhaust is a tight fit in some places, and conceivably there might be a problem if your transmission mount, engine mounts, or engine damper are worn out and allow too much movement of the engine.  But if your worst case clearance is, say, a half inch, you should be all right.

If you find that you need to change your engine or transmission mounts, check afterwards to ensure that the steering shaft U-joints don't interfere with your exhaust header.

Posted: 05-13-2006 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
John Harriott

I tightened everything and went for the first test drive.  There is a resonance at 3000 rpm and a slight misfilre.  I think the mixture needs adjusting.  Mark, you mentioned you adjusted your mixture - did you make it leaner or richer?

Thanks,

John

Posted: 05-13-2006 10:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I responded to your other posting of this question.  See:

http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=47&forum_id=&jump_to=3019#p3019

Posted: 05-15-2006 06:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
colinw59

The Monza exhaust system on #15851 was in great condition when I picked her up Nov. 2004, with the exception of some pitting on the chrome tips. I shotblast the entire exhaust system including the headers. I used Hi-Temp black for the headers and the front section of the system and primed & painted matte black the rear (cooler) sections. Then I tried to install it back on the car over a year later!! The engine was in (the headers were a #@#@* to install) as was the entire rear end. It took me about 2 hours of tweaking and foul language to get the thing in. The rear end is the problem, it gets in the way and it can't be that you have to drop it to change the exhaust!!!! The whole system needed about 2" of lateral movement to bring together the sections of the system at its joints and the shape of the rear section over the rear axle wouldn't give me what I needed without rising beyond were they could be mated. I had to gring down all the mating surfaces to be sure that they fitted snugly as I was not  being able to exert to much forse lateraly to bring them together. The only way I could do it was to loosen up everything, except the headers, and ease the sections to the right side of the car about 1-2' and then bring them back together aligning them as I moved the pipes back towards the center of the car. I guess any make of exhaust system for the JH has its own problems.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851

Current time is 12:40 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > New exhaust - can't make it fit Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems