Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
5 speed value  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-04-2006 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
smcmanus

Last night I looked at a car listed on ebay just a few miles from here.  It has a 5 speed.  The car is borderline project/parts car with lots of rust and problems.  It runs; sort of.  The owner offered to let me drive it around but I was scared to leave the parking lot as the timing belt is very loose and it was not hitting on all 4.

So I guess I'll bid on it but I want to know what the 5 speed transmission is worth. 

Thanks

Steve

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-04-2006 04:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Earp

I've seen some go as low as $500, to as high as $1500. IMHO.

R

Posted: 05-04-2006 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jim Sohl

The value of the Getrag 5 speed is best measured in terms of risk of failure.  When they work fine, they work fine.  When they act up, they are just a transmission that most BMW dealers have seen before, or at least heard of.  The nearly identical 'sport' option on 70's 2002 model BMW's was the same unit.  The trouble is, the Getrag 235-5 was not the best design ever to roll out the door and is long discontinued.  As a result, competent repairs can run $500 to $1,000 pretty easily.  Soooo.... if you find a working JH 5 speed, good for you.  If it proves reliable, so much the better.  If you buy one and it doesn't function or goes south after a short while, well,,, you have been warned.  As I said, they are good units when they work.  You might try http://www.metricmechanic.com/ for some additional Getrag info.

Posted: 05-05-2006 11:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ron Earp

And if you sell it sell it as the BMW transmission. No offense, I'm one cheap SOB, but Jensen Healey owners are more, shall we say, frugal than our BMW cousins.  At least seems that way. I bought my 5 speed with driveshaft for $750.  Same thing on Ebay as a BMW tranny went for $1600.  Just a couple of weeks ago a Jensen 5 speed went for $850.  So.....if you want cash I'd sell it as a BMW.

R

Posted: 05-06-2006 05:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
smcmanus

The car sold for more than $4K and I expect there will be some buyer's regret.  I pointed out the rusted out areas in the floors and seat supports to the seller but he didn't update his listing.  The car looked much better in pictures than in real life and it certainly needed a lot of work before being driveable.  So I missed (?) this one but at the same time today a lady near here gave me a straight long frame Ford F-550 w/ 5 speed so I can't complain!

Have a nice day

Steve

Current time is 11:29 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 speed value Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems