Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Amount of oil for oil change

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Amount of oil for oil change  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-03-2006 02:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
edward_davis

Last time I changed the oil, I put in the amount that seemed to be indicated by the tech manual, but she was overfull afterwards.  After reading that the 907 tends to hold on to old oil, I'm curious how much I should pour in the next time.  Any suggestions?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-03-2006 02:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

4 quarts and then use the dipstick with each additional quart. There is a service bulletin on checking the dipstick height. If it's not welded the collar can slip up the dipstick and cause a high reading.

Kurt

Posted: 05-03-2006 04:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The shop manual lists different oil capacities for the new and old engine designs:

New engine (engine # 2760 up):
     10.8 US pints without filter change
     12.0 US pints with filter change
       1.2 US pints additional for oil cooler

Old engine (engine # to 2759):
     14.8 US pints without filter change
     15.9 US pints with filter change
       1.2 US pints additional for oil cooler

I suspect that the change in sump capacity may have been related to the US habit of assuming that all cars take 5 US quarts (10 US pints) of oil when changing oil and filter.  In an early JH, this assumption would have left an engine 3 US quarts low -- doubtless a recipe for disaster.

For its most recent oil and filter change, my car, which has an engine of the new design, took 10 US pints.  After being run until warm, the oil level ended up midway between the add and full marks on the dipstick.  The filter was a Fram PH16, which probably holds about a pint. In any event, if I add further oil, the engine blows it out as fumes, so I have to consider it as full.

I'm not sure why there's a discrepancy between my car's situation and the shop manual's specification, as AFAIK there is no sludge in the sump and the dipstick is at the correct height above the block.  Certainly the figures in the shop manual seem correct, based on the study I did awhile back showing how full the sump is for various quantities of fluid (see the JHP photo site if interested).

Posted: 05-03-2006 05:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jcdean

"In any event, if I add further oil, the engine blows it out as fumes, so I have to consider it as full."

When I had my first JH over in Hawaii, I did an oil change and decided to go ahead and top it off to the full mark on the dipstick.  This was slightly in excess of the recomended amount by the shop manual.  I can't express to you my regret at doing so.  I was smoking like mad.  I thought it would stop soon, so I drove to work the next day.  I feel personally responsible for a large portion of the hole in the ozone.  As the car got warmer, the smoke became thicker.  I drained about 3 pints out that night and made a mental note for future reference.

Joey

Posted: 05-15-2006 10:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Joseph Mazurk

One must keep in mind that about 1.5 quart of oil is always in the car via the oil cooler and oil lines. I usually change 5.5 quarts every oil change. Hope this helps.

Joseph Mazurk

6 JHS & 4 GTs

Chicago, IL

Posted: 05-15-2006 11:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
John Finch

I just changed oil on 18309. The front end was up on jack stands to r&r the radiator for repair so while I was there...Likely got most of the pan oil out. Didn't do the filter or cooler as the oil only had about 1500 miles on it but did have fogging oil in it from the initial start last fall and then occasional winter shots for th epast 5 months. Plus psi at idle had dropped to about 30-35 at full temp so I thought some new 20/50 might help. Psi is back to about 40 at idle and full temp. Added 5 qts to the top of the fill line but am getting some smoke so next time will try 4.5 qts.

Current time is 09:02 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Amount of oil for oil change Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems