Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Bosch alternator  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-26-2006 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Han

I`ve just installed a Bosch alternator in my Jensen '74 after the Delco unit went dead during a rainstorm in the swiss mountains. The fact that in went dead has nothing to do with the rain but you get very wet, I tell you!! Anyway the Bosch unit fits well but the wiring doesn't really make sense. I've connected the thick Brown wire to the B+ of the Bosch. The unit itself is negative grounded. But what to do with the Yellow, the Brown yellow and the thick black wire? Who can help me out? I'started the engine but there no current flow to the Battery.

Han, Bern

Attachment: DSCN0001.jpg (Downloaded 60 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-26-2006 11:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Paul Prinsen

Most surefire way to get it right is to know what make+model the alternator came from, and get a hold of the original wiring diagram. If that is not possible, I have some suggestions:

B+ is battery. D+ or one of the thin wires is the charge indicator light. Housing is ground. If you have one more thin wire, this could be an AC output for engine management or RPM indication, and should be left unconnected. The large black wire may be used as the source for the field (most likely) or a seperate ground (not likely).

To test, you may want to put a big 12 V bulb (headlight bulb) between the "big black wire" and the battery + terminal. If the bulb glows dim, and the system charges, that wire should go to battery plus or your ignition + terminal. If the bulb glows bright, the black wire is a ground, and the bulb prevents a dead short.

Hope this helps!

Paul

Posted: 04-27-2006 05:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Han

Thanks Paul,

The thick black wire comes from the car and is a ground wire. There 0 voltage on it when conncted to the housing of the alternator. However there is a separate connection (3/8") on the alternator that looks like a second ground connection besides the housing. Does that make sense to you?

Han

Posted: 04-27-2006 06:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Paul Prinsen

Does the 3/8" connector have a terminal indication next to it? That might help with identification.

If you have a good ground (Engine/chasis to the alt. housing), a good connection to the battery, and the alternator is good, you should be charging in most cases. In your case this seems not be so. I ran into a similar situation with a Nissan, which required an exciter field 12+ connection.

If you are certain that the terminal is not for the charge indicator I would try the following: First ground the terminal, and check if the unit charges. If no effect, then energize this terminal with 12 volt, but with a lamp in between, so your current is limited. What we are trying to do here is figure out if the terminal is a ground connection, or the exciter field connection.

Note: if you apply 12 volt to the charge indicator terminal, you will most likely destroy the pull down diodes.

Good Luck!

Posted: 04-27-2006 07:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Han

Thanks Paul. I'll try it.

Han

Current time is 09:08 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Bosch alternator Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems